Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Re: What do you think of the term "carer"?

I must add here, Gray, that one can 'own,' the term 'carer,' or ....'consumer,' and hold pride with that.

I am a proud 'consumer.' Meaning I have accessed mental health agencies in the past to take care of myself. I see my GP regularly and a Psychologist. In today's world of 'anything can happen right now.....it's good in my books.

Hi JT,

I am an ex-carer.  I ran away from a completely out of control, explosive situation.

There is no "short version" of why I despise the term "Consumer".

All I can say, for now, is that by its literal meaning,  it is part of a conspiracy by the government to make mentally ill people and their carers feel guilty about using their already pathetic services and to shove them out into the community, unsupported.

The nonsense term "stigma" is part of that family too.

Not sure how far I can go in this forum..  Guess I'll soon find out Mr Hobbit mediator.

I'll try to be nice but it is not easy.

Hi @Gray 

@Hobbit will be back online on Thursday. Can I assist you with anything in the meantime?

I agree with you, I'm not a fan of consumer. We tend to refer to someone who has experienced a mental health difficulty as someone with lived experience (which we have named our other forum for people who are experiencing mental health difficulties).

I hope you find the forums helpful & productive.

Take care

Dear Gray,

I feel like this though as well....

without being a 'victim,' I choose to own all that I am and have done. Without focusing on the really sad things.

But as being a woman in today's society, I have noticed that some women get themselves into pretty tricky situations. I personally entered a relationship quickly after my husband and I separated and when his circumstances changed, he found an excuse to fall heavily into d&a and sad very sad things happened for us to separate.

to keep MYSELF in a good place, I choose to thnk of a University Lecturer I know who is like me. she happily talks of her consumer place. I choose to speak of and make my little story less impact so much on my life.
I do not like the term COnsumer. It's yucky and 'people don't know what I mean when I speak of me being a consummer so I say. Yes. My name is JT and I am a consumer which means I have chosen to access mental health agencies in the past.

but choose to speak of why I accessed mental health agencies and .....my life is not as bad as other people's are.
Iv also noticed that now I'm working ...thanks a big bit to this wonderful forum.....I need to take care of myself. I see ridiculous things though I have asked not to give me any hard work clients.
it took me about five years to get to where I am. I learnt to take care of myself which was very difficult.
Gray! we are here! you are interesting. owning your own story is a different feeling.

Moved:

Consumer

This comment has been moved by a moderator to another part of the forum where it might be more easily found by the community.

Welcome to the forum @gray.
Like @justanother47yr, I am a consumer and I am a carer.
I wear both with pride as the history of the mental health consumer movement goes back a long way, as far back as the 1600s when an inpatient in a French asylum became well enough to become the superintendent for the asylum.
So for me, consumer means activist in a similar vein to being a feminist. Consumers in Australia in the past were ignored, locked up and had their rights removed..
Which can still occur today in many States and Territories with involuntary admissions etc.
However, change is happening and has been happening for well over 20 years.
Without Consumers you would not see Carer Consultant s employed. Carer and Consumer consultants and Consumer Academics and the Lived Experience Workforce are changing the dominant medicalised culture in many clinical and community mental health services..
So in terms of terminology, the Consumer Movement is political and personal.. The carer movement is similarly motivated..from different perspectives though..
Our Consumer Place is a brilliant website and repository of knowledge that you may find inspiring..
Take care in the meantime, and use your voice for regional Australia..

Hi Nik, Nik

Not only am I new to this Forum, I am also new to the whole concept of Forums, the rules by which they are managed/moderated and in particular how to use them.

Since I started a few days ago I've had around 16 direct(via my Outlook Express) emails and when I click on them I am directed to different places and wonderful, diverse, confusing universes.

At this point in time I am in two minds as to whether I will persist..  I'm getting old and tired.

Having said that, I probably will push on.

Ya never know do ya?

"Carer" is not my favourite word, because as others have said calling yourself that seems to overrule the other relationship (partner/parent/family/friend etc) and imply the person who is ill is unable to care for themselves at all.

However, it is also a helpful reminder that we do a lot of extra caring much of the time and that this requires us to make sure we are also cared for/look after ourselves.

Hi Mrs Who..  No Tardis or Darlek jokes OK...

There is an implicit meaning within the the label "Carer".

In a nutshell, to save money by providing third rate mental health services, the government emotionally blackmales so called carers into believing it is their duty to care for their mentally ill charges.

In this way they can prematurely boot mentally ill people out into the community, before their time, into the unprepared arms of CARERS who feel guilty if they cant pick up and run with the sometimes, erratically bouncing ball. 

Similar logic applies to the label "Consumer."

Gray

Dearest Gray,
hood to hear from you, you very clever man.
I love reading your messages because they are always quite right with a twisted bend.
I am now going to make it my mission to being more examples of your past messages and twist in em.

I must say, I was watching ' Breaking Bad' the only DVD series I have on me with my new friend I met a month ago and was reminded of what positive reinforcement can do to the vulnerable carer.

the example I will write of, is wife Skylar White. She was meeting her brother in law in a cafe and another time, in her work with her sister. they both just realised that Walter White, her husband, was the baddy. Her brother in law, though desperate to catch the baddy, was giving her so much love, I felt amazed and it brought back memories of the baddy partners I've had in the past.

that Skylar, the carer of her oldest son and new mother to her daughter was treated with so much sensitivity and love.
And Skylar was able to act like she wanted with knowing she will always be loved by her family.
It affected me because, at 47 years old and enough years in therapy to be more than primary and high school put together ......that I'm still affected and touched by positive reinforcement.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance