Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Friendconnect
Senior Contributor

Caffiene and mental health

Hello Everyone

I am starting a new thread to encourage self and others keep off the daily caffiene routine/addiction.

Sharing a link just to give a bit of background:

http://caffeineandyou.com/caffeine-and-mental-health/

Request everyone to share their insights and experiences with quitting caffiene for short/long duration or for good.

Friendconnect

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Caffiene and mental health

@Friendconnect Geee ... I dont drink, smoke, eat healthy ... I absolutely refuse to give up my last indulgence which is one (used to be 3) cup of coffee every morning. If I did I might was well roll over. MI is so depressing.

@FriendconnectI am with @greenpea I allow my 2 cups a day coffee habit. 

I dont drink it after 5ish in afternoon.

It was up at 6-7 cups per day and that was a bit much but eventually I reduced it.

Yea... I have also convinced myself for long how a small amount might not affect me...
but the fact remains it DOES. Easy proof is why you can't function without it.

What is it about these substances that life depends on them? More often than not I see addictions as a tool of hiding ones emotional trauma. Or a way of forcing ourselves to do what we do not want to do...
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Friendconnect

A good idea for a thread..

I realised many years ago that my metabolism did not cope with coffee after mid morning..was too stimulating...added to my anxiety and I was sometimes agitated..

I didn't,t factor in the caffeine in chocolate..

I have had periods of no coffee also no chocolate...I can now have 1-2 small ups of coffee with breakfast then no more....I have my coffee black and like my plunger coffee with ground beans..have now gone off instant coffee since had break from coffee..

also have reduced chocolate intake..

This works for me...a treat for myself without side effects...I only occasionally have a couple of glasses of wine when out having a meal..

nice to indulge in a beverage and food that I love..

I think that the answers will be different for each of us..

learning about our limitations..

hello @Friendconnect 

sometimes I will have up to 4 cups of coffee a day depending on what kind of day i am having

I have a Hiatus hernia and sometimes i can not drink coffee in the morning , I try not to have one at night

@greenpea,@shaz51, @Appleblossom..

Thanks for sharing your experiences.. the thing with caffeine is that different people are sensitive to different degrees.
And can be quite difficult to understand how much it affects us without doing an exercise if eliminating it completely and slowly introducing again.

There is bound to be substantial difference in your quality of thinking, sleep and productivity in general.

It's more an exercise to evaluate how sensitive we are and define our limits accordingly. What works for one may not work for the other.

I have fought my battles with cigarettes and and other things.  Comfort food is a major issue, but I also do not want to be a ki-ll-joy.  Finding balance is important. I have gone periods of 3 months without coffee, so I know life does not depend on it.  Its about making choices and working out which battles to fight and when to relax things a bit.

Hello @Friendconnect

I have been thinking of you from time to time when responding to Eude on the Coming to terms with Reality Thread...

Perhaps you no longer have a need to use the forums....this is a good outcome for you...

If you feel like popping in at some stage and saying hello...I know that you would be more than welcome..

Should you stop by...write on whichever thread you feel most comfortable...Of course I know that Eude would be as happy as myself to hear from you on the one where we first met you..

Wishing you all the best in whatever you decide and your life journey...

cheers

Sophia

ps. I had a name change for privacy and safety reasons for a family member...you would have first met me under another user name...I hope that this did not confuse you too much....

Former-Member
Not applicable

I no longer drink because of my meds, it is dangerous to mix alcohol with some of them.  I no longer smoke pot, I no longer use other drugs, and I never smoked or used tobacco in any way.  However, I love me my one and only Pepsi first thing in the morning, and I refuse with every fiber of my being to give up that little luxury regardless of what any amount of research says.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance