Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Daily goals, motivation and check in

After an average day im going to count the 1%s. 

Proactive things i did today - went for short walk

- made progress with psych

- cleaned and tidied up a bit

- applied for 2 jobs. 

Goals for tomorrow

- drink a big glass of water on waking up

- apply for 2 more jobs

- Go for another walk

- clean and tidy up a bit more

- ring family/friends 

- call quitline

- allow myself to feel what i feel, continue to get to know and accept myself, and keep on counting the one 1%s.

Ok. A few goals for the day:

• No news
  • No facebook
  • Disengage in horrible work meetings
  • Walk around the balcony at work at 3 different times through the day

Hope today is good for you @Zaphod @Teej @eudemonism @Shaz51 @Mazarita

Image result for do your best

way to go my awesome @frog Heart

Hello @Teej, @Zaphod, @eudemonism, @Mazarita

@frog sorry to hear you're having a tough day mate

Hi @Teej@Shaz51@frog@eudemonism@Mazarita.

Todays goals:

- Go into jobsearch place and get help putting resume on their un-user friendly system.

- shave

- christmas shopping

- book car in for service

Weekly goals

- continue monitoring and tracking cigarettes smoked

- continue reducing time spent in front of tv and electronic devices by putting them all on "greyscale"

- buy a skipping rope and skip for 10min a day

- finish pressure spraying the backyard pavement

You guys are all inspiring.  Thank you.  We are stronger, more persevering and more resilient than we can give ourselves credit for at times.  Anyone who faces mh difficulties, crisis and life complications already possesses an incredible amount of GRIT.  Together we can do what we can't do alone.  Wishing you all the best over the Christmas/New Year break.

Thanks @Zaphod for your positive words. All the best with your goals going forwards. 

thanks @Zaphod and way to go my friend Heart

Hello @Teej, @frog, @eudemonism, @Mazarita xxxxxx

Just wake up and get through each day @Shaz51 that's all I'm doing. I'm sick to fkn death of my life and really couldn't care if i peacefully, quickly, quietly and comfortable die in my sleep tonight. But knowing my luck-I'll live for another 30 years.

Hi @Zaphod stick in there. You'll work it out. Dont be to hard on yourself.

Thanks @Shaz51@Teej@frog@Mazarita@eudemonism.  Just reading a fantastic book called "The Happiness Trap" my psychologist put me onto and practicing a few of it's exercises.  Has anyone else read it?  It's based on ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy).  They say it's a controversial book but I'm finding it quite helpful.  Especially the recognising and defusing unhelpful thoughts.  A common thought for me is "i'm a loser.  I f**ked up my life".  One of the techniques it suggests is to imagine hearing a celebrity or cartoon voice saying it.  For me i chose Yoda saying "Loser, I am.  F**ked up my life, i have." I found i stopped taking the thought so seriously and ended up smiling.  They call it defusing unhelpful thoughts, meaning the thought is still there but it's given a lot less attention and treated like what it is, words in the head and not reality.  And our minds from an evolutionary point of view were designed to give us negative thoughts to keep us alive and safe.  So whether a thought is negative, positive, true or false means little.  It's just a thought.  It's whether that thought is helpful or unhelpful that matters and it's a completely individual thing.  Anyway thought i'd share all that in case it might be helpful.  I've had a lot of counselling and therapy over the years and struggled with negative self talk and being hard on myself.  Finally found something that seems to be working with the negative (unhelpful to me) thoughts.  Would be interested in hearing if anyone else has read the book and/or tried ACT.  Probably should have created a seperate discussion about it instead of the long post on this thread though.  Sorry about that.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance