Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

How long do I need therapy?

I’ve been thinking this afternoon. How long do I need therapy and how do you know when to stop?

its been almost 9 yrs since I started therapy for cptsd, depression, anxiety and BPD as a result from remembering my childhood sexual abuse. 

I look back snd think of all the meds I’ve tried the different psychologists I’ve seen and the amount of money I’ve spent. I’d hate to add the amount of money. 

Its difficult when seeing someone because you relieve the trauma you get more depressed and frustration as well as snger. 

I don’t know what to think? Do I stop my meds and therapy?

any advice will be great. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: How long do I need therapy?

Hi @BlueBay

I am like you in being overwhelmed by the amount I have spent on "therapy".  So much so that I have decided not to PAY for much any more.  Instead I am allowing myself to go to a couple of movies per year etc ... 

The only thing I am paying atm is the gap of about $40 to see my pdoc.  On a limited income that is more than enough.

I used to grumble that I supported the indstry single handed ... lol ... delusions of grandeur Woman Embarassed... or a lil exaggeration ... I certainly will not give my money (or sign so that they get it by Medicare or other funding) to anyone who cant earn my respect by developing rapport and being more than a well dressed person in a nice office.

For the first 20 years of therapy I was an easy mark and was desperate and did whatever I could to help them, but then felt  little burned, when I think back over some of my sessions.

Smiley Happy

Its about what you can handle. @BlueBay I need some security and try and space my sessions.  Nobody is ever cured of being themselves.  Its mainly that you can manage your down periods using best practise.

Smiley Happy

Thsnkyou @Appleblossom for your reply. I guess I stsy with my therapist. I’m unsure. I’m not well enough to be free from sessions. But I think to myself how much longer. 

@BlueBay would it help to talk this over with the providers you are seeing if they listen to you? it's a difficult question, do you some other questions you can break this down into to identify what you are looking for in therapy and if this is what you are getting currently? Ideally the providers give you a skill set and you see them temporarily until you can manage without them as much.

sometimes i do decision trees when i don't know what to do. I've done this when i've been uncertain about continuing with services and pacing around. The decision trees involves exploring 4 columns - benefits of continuing, costs of continuing, benefits of stopping and costs of stopping. I'm a bit like @Appleblossom pretty tired of not getting the right support so I think twice before paying. I'll only go back to a provider if i feel they understand my experiences. 

best of luck 

Hi @JasJac

I will do a list as you suggested. Good questions to think of. 

Hsving BPD making decisions is hard for me. 

Hey @BlueBay I don't think there is any hard and fast rules when it comes to treatment of a mental health condition about when is the appropriate time to stop. Like you, I've spent a lot on therapy, doctors and medication. Although I've cut my pdoc visits down to 4 times per year (unless there are an emergency), I am still in therapy addressing past trauma. I believe now I am a little more 'ready' now to discuss this and work towards resolving some of this trauma. This has taken literally years to come to this decision. After the funding I've received under the NDIS for therapy is exhausted, I will not go into any more unless I need to in the future. That's the beauty of treatment... you can always go back in the future if you need to. Medication is another story, that I will likely need to take in some regard for life in order to keep well.

I think only you truly know when it is time to end therapy. A therapist can advise you, but my advice is don't quit until you are well and truly ready.

Thankyou @Queenie for your reply. I appreciate it. 

Yes I’m the only one who can make the decision.  I’m thinking I will need to sit down and think. But I think I’m not really ready to stop yet. Don’t know who I’m kidding. Therspy sucks. Seeing psychiatrist and psychologist is emotionally draining. 

You said it @BlueBay Therapy can really suck money and emotionally.

From your posts I would not think you are ready to quit, but maybe knowing more about it can alter your attitude to therapy and you can space things more productively for you.

Compared to 1983 when I first sought therapy and now, I do feel more empowered about seeking providers and determining my goals.  I have also studied a few types of therapy and so have a sense when things are working, whereas I was constantly retraumatised in my earlier years.  That said.  I would not be here except for therapists and other health providers. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance