Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Meowmy
Senior Contributor

How to sooth ourselves

@Owlunar @Zoe7 @greenpea I am at a new phase of life. I think ability to sooth ourselves is very important. I have an aging mum with early dementia. Can be difficult to deal with. I try to soothe myself when she is grumpy. Sometimes, I find playing music soothing. I find now reading books a bit emotionally challenging, with aroused emotions reading the books clashing my underlying ones.

I find reading the forum soothing. Sometime watching TV.

Sometimes read funny stories or watch funny videos.

Tell us what can sooth you. Very interested.

21 REPLIES 21

Re: How to sooth ourselves

Great post @Meowmy, what sort of funny videos or TV shows do you find soothes you? 

@Meowmy @Ali11  Hi Meowmy and Ali11 I find playing very fast music soothing .... don't ask me why it shouldn't but it does. Going for walks soothes me as does talking on Sane. I find it hard to read as I don't have the concentration anymore unless the book really grabs me. I also find certain shows on tv help to calm me down.

@greenpea @Ali11 @Zoe7 @Former-Member @eudemonism @Flying_Hams @Owlunar @outlander  I did find walking soothing and sitting for coffee too. My father complex seems to resolve a lot in my mind since yesterday. Now it is the Mum complex bothering me. She has sacrificed so much for the family. Now she is grumpy to be around. I just need to calm myself and keep going. I will read a bit and play some music.

Thanks for care and support.

Hope to talk later.

my irritability reaches a stage where it bothers me that it will get out of control. I have been playing bubble shooting games on my phone, I have found that it calms me down very quickly. Computer games also have the same effect on me.

@jay2 Glad computer games are soothing for you. I don’t know how to play them. I will do some housework after coffee. I find it can be soothing sometimes.

Take care.

@eudemonism what do you find soothing?

Self-soothing - yes @jay2 @jay2 @greenpea @Ali11 

We all need to have these techniques and to practise them - it gets easier as we continue

I like computer games - they don't just help us to calm down either - they improve brain function and I always like a challenge

Music yes - I play the piano and I like the music that comes with some movies I have recorded and play them sometimes - not necessarily watching the movie - sometimes I have a recording progamme playing while I just get on with the ordinary details of mmy life.

I like walking too

And playing Sudoku Puzzles - I love doing them

And I sing a lot - I feel embarrassed if people come to my door when I have been really opening my lungs but singing is great 

Also I read a lot and watch a lot of TV docos - I record what I am interested in and watch them as often as I feel like it. I also study informally anything I am interested in

Great subject

Dec

yeah i totaly agree i hv paranoid scytcoprhenea and i am totaly the same as that. i must say that i find the paranoa the hardest pert too deal with. i am always caugt up in a few days good the two days bad for some reason.

Those are great things to soothe you @greenpea, even fast music. What is your favourite artist? 

@Ali11  Fast music would be The Prodigy as you can really dance to it as well as listen to it. Plus it is great to walk to because it really speeds you up :).

What is your favourite music Ali11?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance