Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Making life just abit easier

He sounds like he is really old school and stuck in his ways.  They are the tastes of a person who has had it tough and compromised and probably tried not to be fussy, and probably worries about the cost of meat.

Its sad and silly as I get that you care about nutrition and food and he is a stubborn boy who is actuallly missing out lots of potential treats. I kn ew old ladies at church who ate like that. To eat Asian was mind blowing for them. I felt upset feeding canned stuff to my family but it was also a way that we negotiated.  Then when I knew what they liked I would make a home grown versions which were way better. That way I eased them all into healthy eating, hubby and kids ... phew ... some successes ...

There is that old saying about .. leading the horse to water

I have found bacon and cheese great ingredients to make vegies more palatable for boys ...who think it is masculine to eat meat and no greens. If you have to be sneaky with vegies pop them in.  

Last night my son said my salad with beetroot fetta, parmesan, bacon, zucchini, lettuce, capsicum, beans and spinach greens ... hit the spot.  Its been a journey and still is.

Could you tease him into trying a few new taste sensations ... dont be a toddler ... come on pop .. you will actually like this ...tinned spag .. is so yukky ... surely the smell of a proper spag bol would convince him to try it ... squeeze vegies into that even if its just capsicum, celery, peas and corn.  Authentic Italian style was more vegie than mince .. etc ..

thats true @Appleblossom anytime i cook i strill try to incorporate vegies as much as possible even like making a potato mash with whatever we are having.
he says he doesnt like the taste of anything anymore. i guess thats not helping either but i dont really know what else to do.
he likes bacon and cheese so i could try and incorporate some of that into things as well.

Smoking and meds can effect taste buds.  It sounds as if he is not really appreciating your effort.  Have you explained that when he does not like what you prepare you might feel discouraged.  

Bottom LIne: When you are living there, do not compromise your own good health and eating if he wont "come to the party".

Maybe some boundary setting and natural consequences are needed.

Maybe prepare meals for 2, that can be packed away and had next day if he passes his up.  Let him have his tinned spag, but give him a tiny taste (teaspoon) of your yummy meal.  Say if he likes it you will do it again .... but if he passes up good meals then you have to be practical.

To be honest, my grandfather appreciated my meals when I cooked for him and I was a lousy cook back then.

@outlanderHeart

he isnt/wasnt a smoker @Appleblossom
he had a sugury a while ago and he said since then he hasnt had much taste. it was his gallblader but im not sure how that would relate. the drs dont know either and mostly put it down to his aging. im just wndering how much of that is actually affecting him though because he will eat all the tinned stuff and still having the same problems with meal times.

i guess hes eating and thats all that matters but would be good to get more nutrients and things esp with diabetes.

i usually just serve up what i cook and he just eats what he wants then about 7ish he is usually making something else to eat.

im trying to write down what needs to be addressed so when i take him to the gp i can adress some/most of them and get some sort of plan happening. still just reading up on some of the condition to learn more about them first.

You dont have to totally cater for his food. @outlander

There might be a sense of his wanting to retain his independence and to do his own kitchen thing.  That is actually important to self esteem and dementia.

My son is similar, though at a different age.

I figure if he has had a plate of vegies per day I should get off his case ...

Compromise and negotiation is difficult, but the important thing is that you find a workable arrangement.  Perfect nutrition is not going to reverse the ageing process.  You both need to be able to live with it.  Maybe 3 meals per week that are great is enough ... I dunno ...

Always a pleasure talking to you @outlander Heart

thanks @Appleblossom Heart
he doesnt have dimentia yet though i think he is starting to show signs.
will just have to do what i can manage and afford for now.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance