Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Carerofpotsie
Contributor

Supporting a chronically ill child

Hi all I just wanted to know how some of you juggle your own needs vs your child’s when your a single parent and the only source of income (got to love c- link) I just find it so hard sometimes trying to make ends meet and still forfull all the scripts (no concession for child’s meds) and other necessities needed for my child (18yold) feeling broken atm. I got a Brocken washing machine and can’t afford a loan for another one 😞 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Supporting a chronically ill child

Hi @Carerofpotsie

I'm Margot, nice to meet you 🐨

I can really hear how much of a struggle it's been for you trying to juggle everything that comes with being a carer. It's so stressful as a single parent having to manage everything alone. It leaves no room to move when unexpected things happen - like a broken washing machine. 

You're certianly not alone in feeling the financial stress of caring for an unwell child and there are so many carers out there who are really struggling to make ends meet. I'm sure there are a few members in our community who can relate to how you're feeling too.

You may have already tried these avenues, but in case you haven't, here goes:

This resource helps you to locate financial assitance in your area:

https://www.carergateway.gov.au/financial-planning

And there's some info here on managing finances and a number of links you can check out: https://www.carergateway.gov.au/managing-finances

As a carer, it's so important to look after yourself too - easier said than done I know. Connect with other people in your life who you can talk to about things and remember that it's ok to reach out for your own counselling and support too. If you're interested, here are some tips for managing stress for now: https://www.carersnsw.org.au/advice/look-after-yourself

Hope that's a little helpful Smiley Happy        

Thanks for the info re managing finances I don’t think that is where the problem is it’s more that we are surviving only on my carers. As my child slips through the cracks in the system when it comes to him having his own payments of any kind. It’s what happens when they have rare conditions that drs at c/ link don’t truly understand. 

Hello @Carerofpotsie ,seeing how you are today , hope everything is ok

Saw the psychiatrist at head space for my child I got called in as child had been expressing thoughts of suicide to be told by the psychiatrist that there is nothing wrong with my child and if there is anything it’s all my fault! So yep feeling real good right about now because the psychologist wanted my child to be assessed so we could get more suited help and possibly payments! 

That sounds incredibly stressful @Carerofpotsie. How are things going?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance