Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

utopia
Senior Contributor

Chest Pain and Anxiety

Disclosure / Warning:   always get checked out if you  have chest pain.

Hello everyone. As some of you may know I have Major Depression. I also have Anxiety. Although mine is very mild and no longer requires any medication. Most of the time I can just breathe through my anxiety. Occassionally, I'll scream through it.

Lately, (past 6 months or more) I've been having high blood pressure readings, even though I'm on bp medication. I've been getting really worried about it, as I had a stroke one and a half years ago. And do not want a repeat of that experience. So my gp suggested that I go to my pharmacy daily and have my bp tested and to record it in a little book and to report back to her in 2 weeks.

So last Friday I had my bp tested at the pharmacy and it was 172/113. Not a great number at all. Then I started getting chest pains. Strong and persistent. I've had these before. For the past 12 months I tend to get chest pain when anxious. Nothing extraudinary about that. Because the lower reading was so high, I was worried about a possible stroke and Nurse On Call, rang a Doctors service who called me back and said to phone an ambulance and go to the Emergency Department.

So I spent Friday night and Saturday morning in the ED. All clear. No heart attack, which is what they were worried about. Today I had a stress Echocardiogram. All clear.

I went to the doctors and this time I saw another gp. As I wasn't happy that the old gp was not changing my blood pressure medicine. After chatting to the new gp for about 10 minutes she slips the bp cuff on my arm and continues chatting with me while she takes my bp. Perfect bp. 123/83. Very good for me. Wow. I couldn't believe my bp was that low. It's normally in the high 150's to 180's. Then she explained to me that I have what is called, 'White Coat Syndrome'. Apparently my bp goes up as soon as I'm aware my bp is being taken. So she took it again. And it had risen by 20 points. Took it a third time and I was in the 150's again.

I can't understand why this happens. As I feel really calm and relaxed when I'm geting my bp checked. I don't feel anxious at all. That's when this wonderful gp explained to me, what no one has bothered to tell me in the past 4 years since diagnosis.

Beause I have anxiety (as a diagnosis), I am extremely sensitive to stress, to worries and every day life events. She explained when I walked in and she said 'How are you'. I responded with 'good'. But in my mind my head is full of worries, often times I'm not even aware of them.

So just like I am chemically sensitive to perfumes and chemicals, my mind and body is very sensitive to worries. I never really realized this. As it's now very rare for me to have panic attacks or anxiety attacks.

So while I am smiling and saying everything is 'good'. My mind is silently screaming in the background. And I didn't even know. I really thought anxiety was when  I was having an attack or when I can't make my brain shut up from obsessing over things.

No! It can be far more subtle than that. And that's why I've never understood why the hospital and the doctors have told me that my chest pain is due to my anxiety and not to any heart conditions.

Did other people know this?

Is it because I have gotten really good at not thinking about my worries? Because I do anything I can to avoid thinking about them?  I tend to try distraction, rather than 'sitting with the feeling'

48 REPLIES 48

Re: Chest Pain and Anxiety

Oh golly @utopia

I know what you are talking about - I have been feeling so grotty since I started BP Medication - it has levelled out with the tablets and sometimes it is too low and it takes me ages to get moving in the morning

I have anxiety too - I don't worry about the anxiety but the things that cause it - there is too much stress in life and I understand what you are talking about

Like the minor issues that press on us - in fact everyone has them - not thinking about them doesn't change them either because they are still there and they are sometimes huge things like illness in family members and other things are so little why bother but they need attention

I have been in hospital with chest pain too - so full of medication my head felt full of cotton wool - 

Anyway - yes - White Coat Syndrome - I think I have that too - cause I have a machine to take my BP night and morning and if I am at the doctor it's high - I am actually more worried about the low BP in the mornings - bad way to start the day - but I do relate to what you are saying

So if I can get up before lunchtime I will go and get my blood and urine tests done - or rather - let them take the blood - and check for a million other things on the form that scare the shitoutame

I care Utopia - this is such a fun thing to have in common - I get it - so sorry

Dec

Don't be sorry @Owlunar. So I have anxiety. That's okay. And now I've joined the White Coat Syndrome members. lol.

Now that i'm aware that my mind is affecting my body in this way, I can hopefully learn some techniques to reduce my silent anxiety. And I'll stop panicking every time I get chest pain.

And I have so many pin holes in my hands from blood tests at the hospital and today at the gp. Worried that water will spirt out of the holes if I drink too much water. A bit like a cartoon character.

I am trying to imagine all the water squirting out of your hands when you drink water - I don't think I could find clipart for that @utopia

Join the White Coat peeps - secret anxiety - I get it - yeah - I don't want to worry about the issues of geting older but they are happening anyway - along with high blood pressure

I do not really fancy a stroke or heart attack either - and I reckon without really knowing - I have that secret anxiety myself - because I have had enough stuff in life and wonder if we can get any peace through life

I am with you though Utopia

Dec - getting past it

What!!!!! No clip art

Gimme a minute - I will see what I can find

@utopia

Hi @utopia
I'm like you. My BP increases with anxiety. Last week my blood pressure went up to 180/105. I was monitored by my doctor snd meds changed. Better now. But each time I get stressed or anxious it goes sky high. I've been to hospital before with ambulance because my blood pressure has been extremely high with a massive headache. But tests come back all clear.
Do u understand what you're saying.
Take care xxx

Best I can do @utopia

spurting water.jpg

Thanks @Owlunar. Is a hard one to find.

@BlueBay. I'm still blown away that I don't feel anxious. I'm completely unaware that I am anxious.

@utopia I have the white coat syndrome also. I guess I'm more aware of my anxiety than you are, but I don't show it on the outside. It's feels like a massive heartbeat inside, and I do wonder why no one else hears it, and calm smiles on the outside.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance