Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Queenie
Community Elder

EMDR for trauma

Hey All,

Yesterday I went to therapy and instead of talk therapy, I decided I wanted to broach the subject of resolving some of my childhood, young adulthood trauma. My psychologist said it was like living with a splinter, it hurts and is very painful but all the medication and numbing down isn't going to solve anything as the splinter is still there and will continue to hurt me. The splinter needs to come out and it will hurt coming out but after it is done, hopefully I can move onwards with my life.

So here we are. EMDR (don't ask me what it stands for because I have absolutely no idea). I began yesterday on some small amounts of distressing stuff and yes, I feel a lot calmer talking about them. My childhood however is going to be a biggie. I am looking forward to feeling better about things though. I just have to keep this in mind when I am going through the painful stuff. 

Anyone have experiences of EMDR that they'd like to share? Given I will always be schizoaffective, but I'd like to live a less triggering lifestyle if at all possible.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: EMDR for trauma

Interested to hear about your experience with EMDR @Queenie!

There are a couple of other threads that talk a little about it here and here if you're interested in having a read 🙂

Hey @Queenie.

I don't have experience with EMDR though it sounds interesting and I've heard of people who've found it really helped. When I mentioned EMDR to my psych they were pretty quick to shut it down but I think that's a reflection on their personal preferences rather than on the potential for EMDR to help some people.

Just wanted to wish you the best with it all (I too am interested in hearing how you get on with it) and tag @eth here who might be able to share some experience some time with you maybe 🙂

No direct experience of it. @Queenie but it was suggested for me 25 years ago, but never had spare money to go looking for it.

A conductor once mocked me for being a startled bunny in the headlight ... hmmmm ... why did I put up with such c##p.  For the music ... now I am getting music sans crap .. Smiley Happy

Then I researched EMDR and believe it could well help reduce triggering for you in the future.  Good Luck with it.  I am noticing eye contact is more common around me at the moment in a positive way ....

Cheers Q

Heart

Hi @Queenie

It is great you are getting some great support with your therapist. The groundwork that you are doing is necessary to help through your future sessions, to get he most out of it.

i am doing EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) at the moment.

It is quite an amazing process,  my experience feels like I see things extremely clearly and I am able to process aspects of my trauma in a different way.

I have had the biggest core belief change in my 4th session. On reflection I can see it was an unhealthy belief of myself in the trauma, but it shapes who I am today, for good or bad.

But, I know that day it shook me!

I am still working through this part of my trauma and there are still other areas I have yet to go.

But, my experience with EMDR so far has been life changing, it isn’t easy, but, I finally see a light, where as before that I had lost direction and my outlook was extremely dark.

Your mind will process up to 48 hours after your session, it is quite tiring, but for me it is worth the results I am seeing.

I hope this has given you a bit of an idea of what you may expect, everyone is different though.

i am happy to answer questions you may have. I wish you luck and positive thoughts 😊

Wow thank you everyone who has replied and for your well wishes, I really hope this is the form of therapy which helps me the most. 

@strong you are quite right about it being tiring, I have been literally wiped out since my appointment. I need to do this though for my own sanity. I need to be free of the trauma that has plagued me most of my life. I'm ready I think!

@Queenie. I had EMDR (eye movement desensitisation reprogramming) in 2015. One year after my workplace trauma.  I only needed it for that trauma.  So it was easier and quicker to treat me using this technique.  

My first session we focused on Panic Attacks.  I used to have multiple attacks weekly.  After this session,  I now have maybe 1 panic attack or less a year.  I still feel them coming,  but am able to stop them in their tracks - normally .

My second session was for the workplace trauma.  This session was tough.  I got stuck at one point,  and it took some changes to move me forward.  That session lasted 1 &1/2 hours,  instead of 1 hour.  But once it was done - wow! 

From that point on I could talk about the incident,  in great detail,  but with no emotions or their physical manifestations.  It's like discussing a boring story about going to the shops to buy bread. 

I hope you are slowly able to work through your many memories and triggers,  and that the results are as successful as mine.  ❤

Hey there @utopia and thanks for sharing your experiences with EMDR. It sounds like it was successful for you in coping with your workplace trauma. I just hope my childhood trauma can be resolved using this technique. I am really pinning my hopes on it.

Just be patient  @Queenie. You have a lot of history to get through. 

That I do @utopia. I guess I should just trust the process.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance