Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: The challenge of spring

@Mulgajane that sounds like a wonderful morning routine - a gentle way to meet the day. I'm about to walk my dogs. We don't go far because they are old, but they are always very insistant that I take them. I'm hayfeverish and tired but time to get moving.

I am off to walk my dogs too @frog  - enjoy! 🙂

Oh @frog

my bipolar moods follow a roughly 5-6 week cycle of depression followed by 5-6 weeks of hypomania. Due to my reasonably good health and studious habits (such as regular exercise, mostly wholefood diet and devoted sleep routine) my swings are manageable. Therefore during the depressive phase I eat more (managing feelings) am less motivated (I am have three forms of exercise I do with other people to get me out there) and I wake with a sense of doom which I treat with my early morning sun routine and making sure I am not lacking in B vitamins. I am also subject to the winter blues and thus the spring highs. 3 or 4 days in the garden because of good weather is a pattern I will grasp if time allows because it is sooo good for me. But, as you mentioned, when my mind is more active such as in my hypomanic phase I can be super distracted (I like to focus on little things like textures and sensations etc) and opinionated and irritable. If I am very angry, I relate that to my liver health and I try and give myself a mini cleanse and lay off the coffee.

Snakes ......they are challenging me in spring and reminding me I want winter back. I get scared to walk my dog in the park during snake season after a too close experience last spring. It sounds pathetic but it has me so wound this week. I was finally enjoying getting out with dog again and he would run through the long grass. He’s not a lead dog or one you can walk around the streets with. He needs a flat out run chasing sticks and balls and exploring. I am whinging I know but it just adds so much more tensign to something that is supposed to be enjoyable.....and is in late winter when everything is green. 

So snakes put my brakes on in spring. 😬:face_with_rolling_eyes:

If it helps @Teej

I have seen my dogs run over snakes multiple times and the snakes never try to bite them - they are much more interested in getting away. 

If you own a terrier that has shown an interest in attacking snakes well that is a different thing. 

Recent research has noted that snakes are capable of a 'dry bite' (without venom) that they will use if forced to bite an animal that is not prey. Scientists theorise that venom is precious and not to be wasted if at all possible.

I find researching the things that I am frightened of helps me. Especially if it a bioligical factor like an animal because the science is so reliable.

I hope you enjoy those spring walks - I bet your dog is 🙂

I definately feel brighter with the warmer weather.  Spring knocks me around a bit when you get that odd cold week or days in sept and oct. 

Hi @Mulgajane and all reading;

This is a great thread topic.

I remember my sister telling me a few years back; "Old fat people get hot too ya know" When it's hot and I want to swim or paddle on the beach, I remember her words and force myself to go out in public.

The weather's changing; time for anti-histamines and sunglasses. I feel so much better on shiny days. Apparently, there's receptors behind our eyes that alert the brain to make us more active and motivated. Makes sense.

Happy springtime!

Hope Heart

Yes, while it's lovely to have warmer weather, I feel a certain anxiety about being woken earlier by the early-rising sun. I relish bedtime, when I can snuggle under the sheets and pretend it will be dark for the longest time. Early waking is a bit of a rude awakening for a person who doesn't identify as a morning person'!

good afternoon @Hannah18, @Mulgajane, @Hope4me, @Zaphod, @Teej

@Hannah18, I agree , it is very much of a rude awakening early in the morning , summer is worse for that and it makes it feel like a long day

Yes, I think it's the change that I find difficult. OK when we're settled into a season, but getting there can be tortuous. I never feel ready for it - just ask my hubbie!   'I'm not ready for this yet.....'

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance