Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Queenie
Community Elder

Am I invisible?

I feel like I am.

I was watching Moana tonight on tv and really enjoying as I’d never seen it and the family just walk in like I’m not even there and change the channel. I spend most of my time in the bedroom because they watch movies which are insensitive and inappropriate (like M Night Shyamalan’s Split). I may as well not exist at times.

When I was recently going through my mental hell, it was like they banished me to the bedroom. I would wake up alone and go to sleep alone. I only saw anyone for the evening meal and even then it was focused around the tv.It is times like that which makes life difficult.

I will slink back into invisibility again now.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Am I invisible?

@Queenie  Hi Queenie maybe it is time for a family meeting if you are up for it. Where you can discuss your grievences and put together a television time table for example so that you get to watch your programmes too. It is hard living with teenagers at the best of times let alone when you are the step parent.  Another thing you could do is buy yourself a small tv for the bedroom to watch your programs there. As long as every one knows it is yours and not to be used by anyone else.

Good luck with the teens and know that they mean no harm they are just being teenagers 🙂 xxxx

Re: Am I invisible?

Heart 

@Queenie 

I am sad that is going on in your home.  It happened to me and I did retreat to my bedroom for years. I tried to be heard but it seemed not possible. I doubt either of us "deserve" it.  I just dropped all interest in the airwaves for 15 years and eventually got my laptop ... but ...

People ought be recognised with basic respect .. over stuff... tv is stuff. Its basic.  A "hi  do you mind" ... or "oooops sorry did not notice ..." Your missus is implicated.  It would help if she modelled what is acceptable.  

I dont believe it has anything at all to do with being a teen.  I never did that as a teen.  I have seen heaps of teens showing respect and awareness of other people.

Take Care of you Q

Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance