Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Daughterdid
Senior Contributor

DID and Finding Me

Having a mother with DID has made me who I am, and I can finally say I'm glad for that! As my twin and my younger sister and I come upon our 40's, however, we find that we have done all we can to change on our own. The psychoses and neuroses that we continue to suffer from remain embedded despite all our knowledge and tireless self-work. I didn't think such a wall existed but here it is, and that past I thought I was over is coming back to affect me, so I'm looking through your eyes in hopes of going further.

I've kept my mother's debilitating condition and the abuse I suffered a secret for 44 years because no one ever saw it but me and my siblings. We are all we have, and we reel in and out of falling apart, but I'm lucky to have them to fall apart on. 

Taking my next step means opening myself up to others, which is a terrifying prospect to a hermit. Thank you for all you'll give of yourself and for all the pain that you've suffered to gain the wisdom you share.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: DID and Finding Me

Hi @Daughterdid,

I'm Margot, one of the Community Managers.

I can see that you're new to the community, so welcome🌻

Thanks so much for sharing your story. Despite how difficult things have been for you, it's so lovely to read how supported and connected you feel to your friends, partner, kids, and to your spot out in the woods. 

It would feel pretty exciting and quite daunting to be back in college and it makes sense that it's been a stressful time for you. It's so difficult to find affordable support, particularly when you live outside of a metro area too. I wonder whether you've stumbled across any of the ehealth services like Mindspot clinic, Moodgym? Could be worth checking out. 

Look forward to seeing you around the forums. Take care 😊

Thank you Margot, for the positivity and advice! Yes, despite the issues I'm having I am absolutely fascinated with everything I learn! The benefits of being older and paying attention 😉

I appreciate you.

Wow. This is the Carer forum, not where I was supposed to post my story. Oops. 🙂 Learning as I go.

Hi Daughterdid, your story is fine here. It is your experiences that are important.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance