Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Depression Dementia Dad

Do offer to take the dogs @Former-Member, but you probably need to let the public guardian know, just so they are accounted for, but probably nobody else is actually conscious of the dogs, because they haven’t had to be looking after them.  

Its a difficukt time of indecision, so try to sit with it, letting the different options tumble around in your mind a bit, as they are, until a pathway starts to emerge ..... and it might be something completely unexpected, like my move east was.  It’s also natural to wonder whether you should have not sold and stayed with your house ..... but you are transitioning to something new now, and while it is scary in the moment, you will look back this time next year and see how it all worked out.

Hugs @Former-Member ..... it’s not selfish to invest in self-care .... it’s necessary ..... be your own best friend and do for yourself what you would do to care for a friend in your position.  Can you go for a small adventure somewhere today ?  Go visit a parkland or garden centre with a cafe you haven’t been to before, or somewhere beachside ? 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Former-Member

You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Former-Member, appreciate that you care. Hope you’re ok. 

Dad wanted me to come back first thing in the morning, today, but I can’t. He was really tired last night, but ate the marinated kebabs on stick I brang, and all his meal, and they had condiments within his reach fir the first time (one issue raised with DOC meeting.

@Faith-and-Hope, maybe, just having trouble making it to a much needed shower today. But have had light brekky & pills & watched amazing Derek Prince sermon on healing “righteousness of God...”. started out by saying “you may even be thinking of suicide - don’t do it!” Needed to hear that. I have started packing my car / decking it out a little, to live in. Gotta go 💕

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Former-Member  there are places that deck out vans with a decent bed, mini fridge etc. Having the dogs will bring comfort to you. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I hope so @Former-Member, having a lot of self doubt wondering if I’m not a good option even for dogs Isn’t that a terrible thing to say to myself :(. But having said that - Georgia is snoring at my feet as I type.

Found a good home for Sandy today, he really took to the little 6yo girl, and they have money and property... he’ll be well cared for. I can’t manage two dogs, but I still feel sad having separated them. Georgia has taken to me and I’ve never felt that with a dog before and maybe it’s a gift I shouldn’t throw away this time. Dads forgotten about the dogs I think, didn’t seem to want to pat them when I last bought them to him 😞

So many goodbyes.

Do you know the name of any of these places that do out vans? I don’t need much.

Public Guardian team will make decision about changing dad from ‘Respite’ to ‘Permanent Care’ on 6th Nov. They’ve asked me to submit ‘a case’ for bringing dad home, if that’s what he wants, and that’s certainly what he says to me (although less & less), I fear it’s breaking his heart, But I’m not sure he realises his high care level & that he’ll need to go through all this again in the near future as his dementia worsens... He has serious mobility, continence & cognitive decline - ‘moderate vascular sementia’ & ‘depression’ the gerontologist s say. I doubt challenging permanent placement would be in HIS best interest anymore, or mine (when I step back & be objective). So, I got two weeks to tidy up loose ends and be gone.

I think you’re right about not being here for the big ‘clean-up’ and sell-off’ of the family home, even my psychologist said the same Friday “you’ve done your bit” she said. And even though they don’t acknowledge it - I know in my heart I truly have gone above and beyond (funny how I can for others more than myself). But yeah, I got apx 2wks

@Former-MemberHeart

Walking with you.

Wish I had something to add.

VARO - CaravanVARO - Caravan

Former-Member
Not applicable

Wow @Former-Member, just looked at those websites. Thank you 😊

@Former-Member Heart
Former-Member
Not applicable

Love that pic @Appleblossom, 🙂 made me smile 😊 how are you?

Hi @outlander, I see you ‘liking’ there/ you staying afloat?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance