Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Daughterdid
Senior Contributor

How Different Countries Handle Mental Illness

It's amazing how reading someone else's post makes me realize so many things! A guy was talking about how the loved one he cares for hears voices that tell him not to eat. My mom's altar Godd commanded her to go on a 40 day water fast, and she was starving to death. She couldn't even get off the couch. We went to the authorities (I'm an American) and they went to the house to talk to her. Well, she managed to get off the couch then and do what she has always done, take on the wonderful sweet old lady disguise. They went away thinking we were horrible children and that was that.

Luckily, her hatred for us interfering with "God's will" popped her out of it and she survived.

My question is, does Australia (and wherever else you are from) handle mental illness differently? Is there a way for you to get help for someone that's resisting it, or is it just like America and individuality gets in the way?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How Different Countries Handle Mental Illness

Hello @Daughterdid

Australia pretty much follows the UN convention on human rights of mental illness.

This means a patient can only be treated involuntarily if they are deemed to have lost capacity and or are a risk to themselves or others. 

The only difference I think Aust has vs UN resolution is that informed consent must be obtained from a patient to be involved in a clinical trial (99% certain our laws do not permit involvement in clinical trials involuntarily). 

http://www.un.org/documents/ga/res/46/a46r119.htm

I understand why it is in place, I've seen the damage done without said rights, but people like my mom that only need a couple of week's worth of a chance to get help are left out in the cold. No easy answer. Thanks.

in our country ethiopia there are less than 100 psychatrists for the whole country.so, most mentally ill people do not get a chance to be seen by them . they often go to traditional healers like holy water places because their awareness is not enough on mental illness as a whole. anyways i am not against them because me my self have attainded once for my illness schizophrenia thinking it was devils possession but i was not healed till i have got my medication from my psychatrists

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance