Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Cazzza
Contributor

My son who is 34 has Negative Schizophrenia and has relapsed and wont go back to hsopital

Hi, My name is cazza and my son who is 34 lives at home and he has Negative Schizophrenia. He has relapsed. I cant get him to agree to go back to hospital. His pchitrists appointment isnt until the middle of June. He is just laying on the couch 24/7 with barley talking and not sleeping well

6 REPLIES 6

Re: My son who is 34 has Negative Schizophrenia and has relapsed and wont go back to hsopital

Hi @Cazzza

How are you going?

Re: My son who is 34 has Negative Schizophrenia and has relapsed and wont go back to hsopital

Hi Darcy, I’m doing okay. I work Mon to Friday and doing a Diploma in Esrly Childhood Education. I’m doing RPL (prior learning and experience)through TAFE. It won’t take me long to do. My son is much the same and he has his appointment with his Pchtrist on Tuesday 12th June. I keep in regular contact with my sons Pchtrist through emails. She would like him back in hospital as the last medication didn’t suit him and he has stopped them months ago. Unfortunately it is only till now that he got a appointment. My son has been in a Private Mental ward and the environment was nice with helpful staff. But he doesn’t want to go back and would prefer to stay home as he says that he can sit here the same as he sits there. Plus it is 2 hour drive away from me. Which means I can’t get to see him every day. I’m hoping this appointment on Tuesday will be helpful. Do you know anything about the aid dogs that help people with mental illness? I thought that may help him get out of the house. Thanks for asking about me. 

Hi @Cazzza

There is a lot of good evidence that pets can help those with MI; I believe most of these studies involve family pets, not trained service dogs.

My husband loves our pet dog dearly and walks her regularly. On the internet you will find a number of recommendations regarding best breeds for this, a number are lower maintenance than others, some less prone to health problems. 

I don't know enough about service dogs except they are really expensive and hard to acquire. 

There are a number of people on the lived experience side who have much loved pet dogs. If I recall there is someone who may have posted in the carer "Dogs rock" social thread who does have a service dog. 

Having a clear understanding as to who is responsible for walking, feeding, vet bills and poop pick up would probably be best sorted before a pet moves in.  Whilst Mr D walks our dog, I mainly take care of the rest and when he is acute have had to take her walking too.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/12/09/504971146/pets-help-people-manage-life-with-ser...

@patientpatient has a son with Sz and they have a pet dog.

Yes, we have a dog and there have been times when the dog has been good therapy for my son. Generally speaking, I'm the one who gets outside and does the walking.... which is good therapy for the carer. @Cazzza, my son (and I) were mostly stuck in the house for a few years. Once the right meds and doses were found, he ventured out a little. There's so much going on "outside", and I think he just felt safer at home. 

How are you going @Cazzza

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance