Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

starflame
Senior Contributor

A surprising method to deal with Aggoraphobia

I suffer with Aggoraphobia which came as a package deal with post traumatic stress disorder.

I have always wanted to try Archery as a sport and having my medication recently tweaked and having more support I was able to leave my house and attend an introduction to Archery class.

The surprising thing about the situation was it created a small paradox for me. In one sense I was in my worst nightmare, at an sporting event with lots of people I didn't know trying something new with people spectating me. However in another sense the physical act of Archery took that energy created from the anxiety of the situation and used it up leaving me feeling exhilarated and relaxed at the end of the afternoon.

It was almost a perfect ying and yang situation. My anxiety would create the energy that my body then used to shoot the arrow and then I gained a level of satisfaction as my skill increased with each shot.

I just thought I would mention this in case other people who suffer with aggoraphobia were looking to do a sporting activity and going out to do it was preventing them. 

It is worth the effort.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: A surprising method to deal with Aggoraphobia

Fantastic @starflame 

Smiley Happy

Emotional and social stuff is often so complicated ... sometimes pushing the envelope or flipping to the other side of the coin ... can help.

Smiley Happy

I used the concept "between the horns of the dilemna" ... to get through a lot of things ... mind you it took me a while to figure all that out.

@Appleblossom  I am not aware of that concept. I will have to google it

@starflame 

Dont know where I picked it up, prob when I was in 20s and studying a BA.

I had a lot of ambivalence and still do ... it helped me find a middle way through a lot of mess.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance