Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Headcase
Casual Contributor

Cannot breath right now :( panicking

I feel like such an idiot 😞 I see a myotherapist who is fantastic , (for those that do not know myotherapy is similar to acupuncture in the sense they use needle therapy in the muscles ) . Anyways my therapist is soooo lovely , I’ve seen him for over 6 months now And whatever he is doing is helping . Anyways as we are chatting I usually see him pull out the needles from my body and put them straight into the sharps container , today I noticed he was popping the used needles into a kidney bowl , which sounded to have needles already in them . At one point he almost went to pick up a needle out of the kidney bowl as we were chatty then I think he realised where his hand was and of course grabbed the needle from the packet , anyways it got my heart racing and anxious me kicked in . What if he was distracted before and accidentally grabbed from the wrong spot while I wasn’t looking . That’s a means for blood transmission . . I didn’t make a future appointment and now I feel silly . Health anxiety always takes over 😞
This guy is amazing and I would totally offend him if I had to ask that the needles are one use only which I’m positive they would be but anxiety me say what if , what if !
Is anyone else like this ? I have literally come home and in totally panic mode that I’ve been getting a treatment for so long that could have a danger risk 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Cannot breath right now :( panicking

hi there, your concerns are genuine, please dont doubt that. i too would be concerned if he was picking up or almost used needles. one thing that might help put your mind at ease is to go to your gp and just say that your not sure if that has happened but can they do a blood test to put your mind at ease.
it might even be worth expressing your concerns with your therapist, you might come to the conclusion to to just have the sharps box and the packet in the room to ensure its all done propery without fears.

@HeadcaseHey Headcase I would be freaking out too. You are not alone. As outlander said I would have a test and would ask him. It might make him feel uncomfortable but normally people put sharps I would have thought straight into a sharp container .... the thing is will you trust him again after this? I don't know if I would ... just saying.

On that note I would start looking around just incase it all becomes to awkward.

Thanks so much outlander , now that I think about it in a previous session he dropped one of my needles when he missed the sharps container and couldn’t see it on the floor so carried on my treatment , meaning not sure if he bothered afterwards but he was in no hurry to collect the needle and get it in the bin . 

If by hopefully a very odd chance their was  a used needle involved what to do you think the chances of infection would be ? I’ve read that acupuncture needles are solid not hollow so things don’t live on them like medical needles , in saying this it was inserted inside my body so always a high risk ? 😞 it’s so sad I have to worry about everything. And your right I’ve probably put myself off going back now that I’m over thinking 😞 

Your completely right , unfortunately it’s put me off 😞 I most likely won’t go back . It’s so sad because he is the first person I’ve found in years that’s helps my back . I hate anxiety but I guess it keeps me vigilant

hi @Headcase

i cant really say the chances of the risk of infection would be but i would be mentioning it to your gp and asking for a blood test, even if the risk of infection is low but now that youve meantioned this on 2 different cases i would be abit juveous of it.
If your not up for approachin him about it i would have a look around for another therapist who does this type of therapy as well it might take a little bit of time but facebook is also good for information if you ask for reccomendations.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance