Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jacques
Community Elder

Mental Health and Cosmetic surgery

Hi Everyone, im just looking for some feedback about the roles of a psychologist/Psychaitrist i have become aware of a specific psychologist who is pushing for patients to get cosmetic surgery (Gastric mainly) as a way to overcome mental health issues, the person in question is working with the doctor/surgeon who does the procedure, does everyone think this is ethical and if so why/ why not.

im under the personal belief cosmetic surgery should only be done in the case of disfigurement/burns, it really worries me that this will become main place in our medical profession and give a lot of people eating dissorders as a unintentional consequance of there relentless drive to look a certain way.

thank you

Jacques

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Mental Health and Cosmetic surgery

Hi @Jacques

It's great to see you again

I tend to agree with you on the subject of cosmetic/plastic surgery. It's something that could be suggested but there is a great deal more at risk than just the surgery itself

Whether or not it's ethical - I'm not sure - doctors of all sorts refer patients to each other and that's perfectly okay - it's necessary for a GP to have different opinions from his own patients about the surgeons he refers them to - as well as what he knows from other professionals.

When it comes to having someone lose weight surgically for Mental Health Issues I think it is really necessary to have everything seen to in a one-by-one basis. Losing weight surgically could be seen as an easy way to do it and it's not - a person is restricted to a limited diet and supplements and this would be a hard way of doing it 

Ethical or not - if everything is done well - if the patient seeks help from a surgeon and is referred to a psychologist and dietician it's still risky

But if a person really wants to go that way I guess they will

It's a tricky question Jacques - and not something I would be looking at

Imo it's a better thing to have a person learn to accept - even appreciate - their weight - hard - yes - safer - I think so

Ethical - dicey

Good questions though

Dec

Re: Mental Health and Cosmetic surgery

Good Question @Jacques

I think it is a breach of professional ethics.  

Its one thing to pass on business to a friend, but the level of trust/vulnerability which occurs in therapuetic relationships with counsellors etc, makes it a serious issue.

Every time a patient submits to a procedure with a general anaesthetic there is possiblity of grave risk. I am not sure if these procedures require the general, but even without it, I see it as medical predation among a vulnerable demographic.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance