Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: My husband endured a few months of drug induced psychosis

Hi Cat 23,
I am saddened to hear of your son’s health concerns. I am afraid I don’t have much advice for you. I am doing ok. My husband seems to have accepted that this is what he has been dealt in life. I am unconvinced that he still doesn’t think that it is all part of some grand plan and still I do not ask. There is very little conversation between us, but more than nothing as it was in the past. At times I wish life was different but I have enough independence and support that stops me feeling sorry for myself.
I guess the medication has helped my husband. He is now on 50% of the original dose which means he is more alert and with it - still not active though. Not sure if the physical deterioration is because of the medication or not. He sees a psychiatrist twice a year. Other than that, he talks to no one about his health. Visiting the GP once a month to get his injection is also helpful for him.
As I said before, I am not sure that the psychosis has completely gone but he has not brought any delusions for some time now. I think the medication has helped.
My understanding is that you can only commit someone if they are a danger to themselves or others. I found talking with my GP and a psychologist myself helped me make some very difficult decisions, and I am not so sure I was right to do what I did, but something had to give.
My husband did not have any drugs so I am not sure what was the cause. I have had it explained that is to do with the way the brain is wired and the chemicals in the brain so medical people definitely need to be involved.
All the best to you in your difficult situation and sorry I cannot be of more help. It is very important that you both can live your lives and not to take responsibility for his illness or behaviour.
Take care.
Sent from my iPad

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply....even after such a long time that you posted.  You sound a wonderfully brave lady and I am glad you have found some peace in your life with independence and support.  I really wish you well.  Thank you for helping me today and giving me advice, I will take it to heart.

Please I'm going through the same issue with my husband constantly thinks I'm up to something always is telling me to tell him the truth . I believe it it was drug induced psychosis I've been living a nightmare for the past 8 months and I would love some help and feedback of what I can do to get through this thank you

Good morning @Wanttobehappy and welcome to the forums.

Hi also to @Cat23 @Demi @Lexxy17 @Shaz51

I thought my situation was pretty unique but I am surprised to find several others going through similar things to me. My partner started having psychosis a year or more ago. He won't get help and the worst part is that his delusions usually involve him 'hearing' people talking about him and calling him names, which sets him off in to a public rage. Not only is it scary, it's mortifying and worst of all, our toddler is witnessing it all. She is getting affected by it and I have to stop that from happening BUT she loves her Daddy so much and would be devastated to be apart from him. Aside from that, w (my partner and i) are very attached to one another and have a very co dependent relationship.  I can't even imagine being apart from him or him surviving without me...so if separation isn't the answer, what else is there?

Hi @Winterz ......

Its a tough one.

My husband doesn’t realise he is eating disordered, and we have had a lot of behavioural issues to deal with, and personality changes, but we remain hopeful that he will eventually be diagnosed and treated.  His behaviour at times is emotionally abusive owing to control issues, and we have to push back against that ..... it’s hard, but we have chosen to try to stay with him and keep our family together.  I can’t say that we will survive it all as a unit if diagnosis takes too long, but we are trying.

His condition can’t stay hidden indefinitely.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this ?   You will need whatever supports you can gain access to, for yourself and your little one ..... the illness affects all of you.

I feel your pain. I hate the thought of leaving as well we have four kids together he's turned into someone I would have never add a relationship been married for 18 years. It's been a nightmare he's tried to say my family was doing stuff to us to try to turn me against them because he honestly believes that they have cameras and some type of devices in her house so they can hear what's going on he told me he found this out by a private detective things have gotten worse he's never been a person to verbally abused or physically abuse anyone lately it's been a lot of verbal but has gotten physical at times he acts like I'm the one who is sick and needs help the one thing he keeps saying is he only hears the voices around me and at our house. I was wondering if that a normal thing but psychosis do you have hallucinations and delusions around one particular person thank you for instance he always tells me I'm smiling and laughing at him when I'm not I could be crying and he could swear I'm laughing. I believe the situation is bothering me just as much as him He has me in his head having sexual relations with all the neighbors. It's sad because he looks at me with discussion and I haven't done anything he refuses to get help he believes that the voices are real and gets upset with me because I cannot hear them I love him more than anything and want to help him but how do I get him to realize there's an issue

I am afraid to tell anyone out of fear of having my daughter taken away.

Good morning @Wanttobehappy and welcome to the forums.

Hi also to @Cat23 @Demi @Lexxy17 @Winterz, @Faith-and-Hope,

My husband is on 2 lots of meds and he says he has no mental illness now -- ammm ???

I can hear how concerned you're feeling at the moment @Wanttobehappy. It's so difficult to support a person who is not yet able to recognise how their thinking, feeling, and behavior has changed. It sounds as though it can feel pretty scary at times too when your husband becomes agitated and abusive. This is absolutely not ok, and your safety is so important. It's really normal to feel scared about reaching out for support however it can really help.

While you can't control whether your partner seeks help, you can model help-seeking by connecting with support and guidance for yourself. The first step is often a GP.

If you're not feeling ready to talk to somebody face to face @Winterz@Wanttobehappy, you might like to try talking anonymously to an online service like Beyond Blue or Lifeline.

@Wanttobehappy you can also contact 1800RESPECT for support and advice around your husbands abusive behaviours. If at any time your worried about your safety or the safety of somebody else you can contact 000 too.

Oh and you can always contact your local mental health crisis line who can provide guidance around how to support your partner too. 

You're all going through an incredibly challenging time. It's not easy to do this alone and I do hope that connecting with support on the forums is helpful. 

I thought I'd drop in some links to past discussions we've had that might be useful for you too caring for somebody living with psychosis and helping a loved one who doesn't want help.

Take care @Wanttobehappy@Faith-and-Hope@Shaz51@Winterz 🌻

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance