Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

MaryJane
New Contributor

Not able to help anymore

I have been supporting my daughter with phychosis for the last 2 years but now only get frustrated, resentful and angry with her so am not help to her anymore. Any suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Not able to help anymore

@MaryJane Hi MaryJane and welcome to the forums. Has your daughter got a good psychiatrist and psychologist working with her? Is she on medications and more so does she take them? Do you look after yourself as the carer which is very important? There are many organizations out there which help carers I am going to tag @Former-Member into the conversations as she knows more about this than I do.

Don't despair there here that are in exactly the same situation as you are so you are not alone. You might like to have a look around the forums and see what threads you are interested in. If I can be of any more help just tag me like I have done with yourself and Darcy above. Hope this helps a bit. greenpea

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @MaryJane

Getting support and learning about MI is one of the best things I ever did.

Finding others who understood and had similar feelings made me realise that the emotions I have are entirely normal and I learned how to cope better.

Getting educated gave me insight into what was a very dark and confusing time. I also learned some things I had been doing in good faith where not at all helpful and I was able to change my responses.

There are a number of mental health carer supports available - if you let me know what state you are in I can give links. 

The govt has a "carer gateway" website and "carers Australia" is another good first point of call. 

This is a really helpful info sheet on psychosis.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://nnswlhd.health.nsw.gov.au/wp-content...

@MaryJane i;m sorry you are feeling this way. As in the suggestions above keeping yourself well is paramount.

If you daughter is willing, is Open Dialogue available in your area? 

Hi JasJac

Not sure what you mean by Open dialogue in your area.  Can you explain please.

mj

Former-Member
Not applicable

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance