Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Sister Withdrawing

Hi @silhouette

How are you going in the self care dept?

Good question @Former-Member .....

@silhouette 🌷

hello @silhouette Heart

Hi Darcy, FAith-and-hope, Shaz51,

Thanks for your messages.

As with so many if us I don't 'self care' enough. I think loneliness is killing me, and so much past trauma catching up with me. Don't talk much about that. Carers push it down. 

My sis isn't well, was hospitalised recently with acute thunderstorm asthma, the worst I've seen her, but she's back home now on a bucket of medication. Bit worried about what this is doing to her heart, she suffered previous heart damage using a cocktail of prescription drugs. Gets arrhythmias... doesn't help that so many psychotropic have horrendous comorbidity (namely obesity). Sometimes it angers me how the system does this to people then criticise them for it. Sis got upset the other day when Dr referred to her as aa

'morbidly obese' 

anxious woman 

poor asthma managementmanagement

Yep, pretty aweful put downs.

Who wants it announced that they are 'morbid' let alone 'obese'. And why do they feel the need to proclaim these words, why can't they just say "BMI 50%" - that would be more scientific, more accurate, less stigmatising, less ridiculing etc. Besides, my sis has beenbcalled obese 30kg ago, how general is that definition! Fat people do not need to be shamed, they already feel bad, carry their own weight every day and all to often hide away to avoid disgusting attitudes and people.

You might have guessed, I struggle with this myself. 

I've engaged a psychologist to help with some panic attacks lately, she thinks I have anxiety depression (who doesn't on some level I wonder). She pointed out the same trauma that crippled my sister emotionally (my words) also impacted me.  We lost a beautiful little sister and our parents were old school physical discipline - traumatised themselves. Ha! Are their any untraumatised families our there? I wonder if 'trauma' is the norm, on different levels, and psychologists are glorified sarogate parents for grownup. Oh, maybe that's a bit simplistic, but so is putting individuals in little MI boxes. I'm starting not believe in psychology / psychiatry as useful tools for individual growth. Community is the answer.

Just popping in to say hi.

Syltt

@silhouette, soo nice to see you my friend

sending you hugs and letting you know we are her for you HeartHeart

@Faith-and-Hope, @Former-Member, @PeppiPatty, @Appleblossom

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @silhouette

I have found that no one is exempt from difficulties. Connectedness (community) is a key point of the CHIME recovery model which I learned about in Carer psych education.  images (3).png

images (63).jpeg

Have you any interests or hobbies where you could link with others in a class or social club? 

@silhouette I tend to agree with all you wrote.  

It is sad that there is so much trauma around. 

Smiley Sad

Community is a great idea, but its the putting it into practice that is hard.

Still we try.

Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

@silhouette

Side effects of meds = yikes

Mr D put on a heap of weight, he has lost some but has been tough. One of my concerns is how he wouldn't cope if he should get diabetes.

I'm Rebeunesque too (read = an oompah loompah 😬) don't have meds to blame,  I don't exercise and need to get my bod moving.

We are eating healthy. My action plan recently has been to dress a bit nicer and put on lippy and a smile to divert attention 👍.

Motivation really hard, if you would like there is a 'healthy eating' thread and a walking thread which I can tag you in where we occasionally encourage each other; encouragement  can be ramped up if needed.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Checking in @silhouette

Just dropping in a while. Sorry ive been gone so long, Had a difficult summer & as a 'carer' member it didn't feel right to express my problems (or something along those lines). My sister is much the same, struggles with bad aniversaries (each year seem a little harder for her than the other way around), kinda start seeing it as the norm... to be sad all the time.
Anyway, I don't know what more to say. Bit hard to pick up where left off, but thank you for your posts @Former-Member @Shaz51, @Faith-and-Hope, @Appleblossom
How's the weather where you are? Pouring rain here atm

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance