Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Special Online Event // Breaking the stigma of mental illness// Thurs 18 Oct, 9 30pm

I think with children learning their own identity and that being learnt through others that stigma is definitely a learned condition. When a child's role model's show this behaviour then children learn that behaviour and take it on as part of their own identity. 

Re: Special Online Event // Breaking the stigma of mental illness// Thurs 18 Oct, 9 30pm

wow very interesting @s-jay, @cameron

Is stigma a learned condition because it seems to be absent in young children who happily play with others whom adults may well prefer to shun?

I’m going to mention this a lot from now on because this is the only way people can often get past their own guilt...

“Stigma begins with a choice that isn’t your fault. It continues with a choice that is.”

And that’s it.

I’ve found that when people are shown their negative behaviour in a punitive way they tend to dig their heels in and make the whole experience a battle. So hopefully this can alleviate it. 

@Shaz51 has the show now finished in Qld?

@Hope4me Thank you 🙂

@cameron - for the audience trauma was raised at least once by the panel but there was no "opening up". i suppose that was fair given it was on national television.

Wow, well I can't beleive it's been an hour already!

Thanks everyone for such a fascinating conversation. We think documentaries like How ‘Mad’ Are You open up important public discussion around mental illness, stereotypes and stigma. So as we wrap it up, as a farewell statement tell us what is one thing you can do to increase awareness, reduce stigma, encourage people to seek help, or reinforce hope?”

@Sophia1 Thank you so much. That means a lot.

“Stigma begins with a choice that isn’t your fault. It continues with a choice that is.”

That is brilliant!

Treat everyone as equal @s-jay as we never know what they are dealing with or what 'battles' they have had to go through to get where they are now.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance