Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: You Can't Ask That: Schizophrenia

I just finished watching the episode on iView just now (I was interrupted the other night with a family issue). It is amazing how relatable all the individuals on the programme were. I can only hope that family members watched it to gain insight that is sorely needed.

It made me realise that perhaps there's a lot to be said for evironment factors such as trauma in the development of psychotic illness. 

Thanks to all the 'stars' of the programme for your bravery in sharing your stories!

I watched this yesterday, had recorded it on foxtel to watch later. Kudos to all the participants and how relatable they all were. I cried a few times, both in empathy and identification. Although I havenot been diagnosed with Schizophrenia or Schizsoaffective disorder - I related the humanity of the stories, how hard it is to know that one will always be on medication, that no matter how hard one tries to achieve goals or dreams, sometimes one doesn;t make it through to the end of the projects. I felt really affected by the honesty and hope. Thank you to every participant and if you happen o be here on the forums, your staory matters, your life matters and I am in solidarity with you and your struggles. 
Thank you, a flower for each of you. 🌹🌹 🌹🌹 🌹🌹🌹

(PS: I think the producers of "You Can't Ask That" have lost their way a bit the questions seem designed to be as offensive as possible. Ther eis no harm in paraphroasing the worst ignorant questions so they are not so sterotyped and rude!)

Hello @MoonGal @Margot

and all others who responded....

I was also very moved and emotionally affected by listening to each individual relate how the diagnosis has impacted on their lives...

I believe that it was Sandy who said that the voices are always with her...

This took me aback...I assumed that there was some space in between the voices...

I realised that I am affected having a "family member" who has been diagnosed and not accepting the diagnosis...

I think that to be perfectly honest ...even though I have read research....watched videos....involved myself in a previous tuesday night session with Hannah...I still found myself shellshocked...

I am I think reeling from the realisation that despite all of the stigma watch....fundraising....discussions....our world still knows so very little...

I was alarmed at this reaction...

I too believe that the silly questions were not necessary....

perhaps they were included to help the speakers feel some levity....I do not know...

a couple of the other episodes on different subjects were good

after watching the schizophrenia one I have not been able to bring myself to watch anymore...

For anyone's information the whole 3 series are available on iview....

@Sophia1 Hi Sophia1 re:silly questions that was my fear about watching. ABC can be annoying at times... So I chose not to ... I am 50/50 about missing it.  Part of me regrets it another part says well I have schizoaffective disorder and I know what my voices are like . Everyone's voices are different mine are different from my son's as are different to someone else .... hopefully it wasn't too lighthearted and jovial because quite honestly it is no walk in the park.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance