Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

Childhood Amnesia (theries)

I always thought we didn't remember because it is too traumatic. But this arrival Dr Karl brings out several very sound healthy reasons why we just don't need to be able to recall most our childhood:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2017-06-20/dr-karl-childhood-amnesia-theories/8622326?pfmredir=ms

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Childhood Amnesia (theries)

Yup. Freud had the traumatic amnesia theory, but now they teach other theories as well to university psychology students (eg schema theory).

Hi @Former-Member

There is a big chunk of my childhood that i cannot remember, before the age of 9.

But between 9-12 I can remember my childhood sexual abuse very clearly.  After that again I have bits and pieces that I remember.

Former-Member
Not applicable

💜 So sorry that happened to you @BlueBay, your beautiful innocent fragile little girl, who still cries. I could just scoop her up, safe in my arms and say "your safe now" let's go out for a day at the beach and eat ice cream ☺

Yes, i know how amnesia feels. I'm missing huge chunks of my childhood too.

Its good to know (according to the article above - see link) that not all amnesia is trauma.

Personally I think i have psychological fragmentation (where whole chunks of our life broken off) for whatever reason. Only this week my son was recalling an every day event from his childhood - but sadly I simply could not recall it and connect as would be nice. Though there was a vague dreamlike possible memory that may fit, but not sure. Even my girl use to say "mum, you forget things" Its sad that I have so many memory blocks (thus my profile name).

Not everyone has to have trauma for amnesia? But is Is it DID? I don't know, too tired tonight.

Good to see you though BlueBay. I've been keeping to myself lately (just a couple of threads) mainly because I've been struggling IRL and need to not overload emotional stuff, if you know what i mean. You be gentle with yourself .💜 🌷🌿

Hi @Former-Member

I know this is a post from last year - but I just wanted to send you a big warm hug. You are a beautiful person who deserves so much care love snd nuture. 

Hugs & love ❤️ to you my friend. 

I just re-read our posts to each other and I cried for what we've both missed out on. 

BB XXXOOO

Thank you @BlueBay, an unexpected pleasant surprise / kind words... Do need that today ❤❤❤

You're very welcome @Former-Member

❤️BB 

i understand so much of childhood amnesia. It's very traumatic. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance