Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Bipolar 1 husband hyper-religious

@Appleblossom Hello Appleblossom, thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes, I agree with you that religion has some strong core values, I am happy to support this & instil them in our children, it’s just when things turn awry that I start to worry. Bare in mind my husband was never such a strong man of faith & I’ve had to adjust to a lot of changes in respect to this, so it’s tough when my husband gets annoyed with me because I’m not the one who changed, mind you I rarely challenge him knowing it would prove futile anyway. He’s not had full blown mania for quite sometime but I do see some sporadic irrational behaviour on what can be a seemingly normal day in regards to religion. I guess it’s very unsettling for me because it’s a reminder of those serious episodes years past & it it’s anxiety inducing. I do think the word of the bible enters the brain of the bipolar person differently & whilst still offering guidance & comfort it can become a bit of an obsession - it’s that ever so fine line isn’t it?

@Rainbow-Dash Hi Rainbow-Dash speaking from my perspective regarding religiousity here is a link where people with Bipolar and who suffer religiousity tell their stories ...

http://ibpf.org/blog/mania-and-%E2%80%9Chyper-religiosity%E2%80%9D

it is an interesting phenomena ... there was one person who is Jewish but became obsessed with Jesus and Christianity ... mine was similar to that ... it is just weird and to be honest frightening because speaking for myself I have no control over the situation and I am not a religous person either.

@Rainbow-Dash

Whether it be religion or something else mania is not a good place to be in.

When we see our loved ones heading in that direction it is of concern and I am hearing that this is what could possibly be happening at present.

Does he have a relapse prevention plan? If so now is the time to activate it. If not, does he have mates who he trusts that can point him toward help?

Even if he will not make the call and book himself, would he go to pdoc if you made appt for him? Does he have a case worker you can contact?

Darcy

@Former-Member

Hi Darcy, it was many years ago we put together a plan, I know the signs & symptoms but as they are sporadic & coming intermittently it’s a bit confusing too be honest but I’m thinking like greenpea said in one of their comments, it comes in waves, I’m attributing the lack of sleep in seeing some symptoms creep in, also anxiety is a real issue at the moment. He doesn’t have a case worker but it’s something I’m happy to look into too. I’ve been pushing him for months to see the psychiatrist as they won’t allow me to make appointments but I’ve rang & made one anyway & had him confirm. I think this is a good step & I’ll attend the appointment with him. I’ll keep you posted, thank you for all your concern & advice.

@greenpea Thank you, I’ll definitely read the information you sent, I’ve tried to learn as much as possible over the years & will continue too as it does help to maintain continued understanding of the illness.

Good to hear you got an appt. Hope things can be nipped in the bud and they do not escalate.

@patientpatient (who cares for his Sz son) posted this link which is really helpful in relation to how to explain symptoms to a pdoc. I write down my observations under these categories. As Mr D tapering off meds I also note side effects that may be of concern - he has been getting fatter and dry mouth worrying him at present.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NRO0-JXuFMY

I really liked L Sederer's points regardless of religiosity as priests/pastors can also help.

1) Dont go it alone - state & church, community

2)  Dont get into fights - alternatives - listening & leverage - negotiation  

3) Learn how mental health system works, learn the rules and how to bend them.

4) Marathon not a Sprint

@Rainbow-Dash
Quick check in to see how you are going- is there a long wait for appt?

@Former-Member Hi Darcy, thank you for checking in, sorry for the delayed reply. We have been to the Dr’s, from all outward appearances, it’s thought my husband is fairly stable but a man now of strong faith, it was suggested we respect each other’s points of view religion wise & blood tests ordered to see where medication levels are at. I see a psychologist regularly as does he, I do think there are definitely symptoms of the bipolar at times filtering in & something that needs more addressing. There are also relationship issues that need addressing too - it’s a work in progress.

Thanks again, hope you’re well 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance