Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Carers under 30...

In many ways, even though it is not a partner you are taking care of there are many things that carers across all relationships experience.   We think we like to think of our granddads  as benign loving oldies who adore us but the reality is they can be grumpy old men @outlander as can our husbands. 😀 

Being intentional in caring is things like getting Pop a cuppa and a biscuit, but smiling and letting him know as he is your grandpa you got him his favourite biscuits or let him have two.

Being a carer though is running through a weekly schedule for appts, gritting ones teeth when our loved ones are being stubborn but being a grand daughter is letting you know you love them and you have their best interests at heart and that you are there for them. Most of the things I do for Mr D is what I consider to be the norm for a couple but do step up when he struggles. I mainly use the term carer for medical as there is the carer recognition act and associated obligations. 

I am fortunate that Mr D is so lovely and does involve me in his medical care.

lol @Former-Member thanks, yes your right grumpy old men indeed!
its just tough, ill pull out of it just have to try and clear the fog abit. i know only have around 2 or 3 hrs sleep a night latley isnt helping much either.
i will try to be more grandaughter and less carer, or at least try my best anyway..

mr D sounds like a sweetie
Former-Member
Not applicable

It is tough @outlander try and keep that sense of humour happening.  If I don't laugh at times I would cry.

Does your pdoc know about your lack of sleep?

i dont have a pdoc anymore @Former-Member i dont have my online counsellor, my gp i barely see and my new psychologist ive only got 4 sessions left to use in 6 months so im rather stuck for supports now.

i try to keep my humour going too. have to keep the darkness from creeping in at times with it too
Former-Member
Not applicable

Yikes @outlander  I feel having a pdoc essential if psych meds are being prescribed.

(Sorry for late reply - stuck working 😬)

No worries @Former-Member
Its ok i wasnt keen on that pdoc anyway. I thnk the meds are ok for the moment anyway. I dont really think i need to change them. Ive got the gp if i need to talk about the meds too..

yes your right grumpy old men indeed!, ha ha yes @outlander, @Former-Member

Former-Member
Not applicable

images (56).jpeg

Former-Member
Not applicable

p02rmvdt.jpg

love the pics @Former-Member

whoever made the guitar head is really clever though!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance