Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

h-j-k
Casual Contributor

Coping with job rejections and the pressure of job searching.

Hi, I am wondering how others cope with job rejections, and manage to prevent them from impacting on their mental wellbeing.

I have studied and up skilled for several years, gaining quals in Mental Health and Community Services. I felt strongly that my lived experiences of having a Mental Illness, and of other life challenges such as homelessness and solo parenting would be of benefit in this career, as I have. A firsthand experience with what clients are living through.

However, one year on from completing my Diploma, I have noticed a feeling of anxiety when I open my Inbox, anticipating that there will be another "unsuccessful for this role" email. My ability to be resilient is fast fading, and I can feel my old frenemie Depression tugging at the corners of my mind. 

The anxiety and fight or flight feelings I experience at job interviews prevent me from being able to effectively articulate my knowledge and experience, and post interviews, I am aware that my self talk and thinking patterns are becoming increasingly negative, but I don't know how to change this pattern. 

In my volunteer roles I know that I am competent, but now I just feel like giving up, I feel like my mental illness is just too large an obstacle to overcome. 

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how have they overcome these issues?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Coping with job rejections and the pressure of job searching.

Hi h-j-k, welcome to the SANE forums. Thank you for introducing an interesting topic. I am sure other members can relate to it. 

Hi @h-j-k

When I was studying at a Girl's Grammar school for days girls and a private college, I prayed that God would redeem me, as I'd been in hospital and God did.  God helped me achieve excellent results academically and my Principal always gave me scholastic awards for academic excelence. God was answering my prayers and redeeming me after suffering from depression, because my mother said my step father was dragging her head with stitches in it on the bedroom carpet.  Jesus healed me of that sadness from the domestic violence in the home and helped me do well at school.

Furthermore, when I was applying for a job in the public service I prayed and I went to the interview and was granted a position as an Admin officer. I prayed about these things and Jesus prayed and interceded for me.  

I know it is hard in this day and age, I've been homeless myself because my family were not there for me after I resigned from work and so I had to live in a homeless shelter.  Also there are many  university students that have degrees and cannot find work and have to do menial jobs like cleaning or hard labour jobs.  It's just so competitive these days when applying for jobs and there are not enough job positions and too many candidates applying for jobs.  Some university students spend years studying as professional students as they cannot find suitable employment. It's not like my parent's days in the 70's, where work and jobs were plentiful. It's tough these days.

I just would encourage you to pray about your illness and concerns and God will help you. 1 Peter 5:7 tells us ' to cast our cares to Him for He (God) careth for thee'./ ' Give your worries to God and wait patiently.  Jesus will be working in the background, praying and interceding. 

And also in the midst of high unemployment, try to stay positive, I know it's hard and it can be tough out their in the job market. 

"think on the good things' Philippians 4:8. Try not to think about the negatives or worry. 

That's the only advice I can give you to surrender everything in prayer and there will be fruit in your life from your prayers.

BambiFawn 

Hi @h-j-k

Job seeking can be so daunting and not getting a role can be tough to manage, particularly if it happens numerous times.

The reactions you're having are human - it shows you care. I know this may not make things easier though.

We had a great Career Chat session, hosted by @OstaraAust, this month on this exact topic. You can check it out here 

I'm sure others here can relate to these experiences. I hope you keep on pushing through and don't feel too disheartended.

Thank you @BambiFawn, that was exactly what I needed. Like confirmation of my prayers.

@h-j-k, it's my pleasure sweetness.

You sound a clever professor bear
and really resourceful.

Keep up the good work.Cat Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance