Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

redheaded
Senior Contributor

Homeless

I'm scared I'm going to be homeless again.
I was discharged from hospital today and I can't go back to my old unit. I'm at a friends so technically I have somewhere to sleep but I don't know what to do or how long this will last. Anxiety is keeping up and not sleeping is one of my triggers for psychosis so I'm getting scared of that. I was homeless 5 years ago. I don't want to go back to sleeping on the streets in the middle of a Tasmanian winter.
And my case manager is on leave til next week so I can't get help to get me a place.
Im stuck
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Homeless

Hi @redheaded, I feel for you in this terrible situation. Is it possible to contact the office of your case manager and explain that you need emergency assistance with housing? It seems possible they may be able to assign someone else to you temporarily.

Alternatively, is it possible for you to ask your friend if you can stay at least until you get some advice from your case manager? That way you would have a place to sleep for now. Then next week your case manager might be available to help.

Or, is there any kind of temporary accommodation you might be able to secure for yourself by some other means?

Sorry I don't have any solid answers but just wanted to give you a response to your post at the least. Hoping very much you find some accommodation very quickly.

Lunar
Senior Contributor

Hello @redheaded

I can see your concerns, that is quite scary if you have nowhere to live, perhaps just try to stay at your friends this week until you get some other accommodation organised, I have found some organisations that help with that in tassie:

Colony47
1800 265 669
www.colony47.com.au/
Colony 47 provides support to over 20,000 Tasmanian children, young people and families every year.  They help individuals and families develop solutions and find support to build better lives and break the cycle of disadvantage. They provide:

• Housing & Homelessness - Housing connect is Tasmania new social housing and homelessness service.  It is a one stop shop for a ranger of housing and support needs.  It provides outreach crisis support case management a referral service to shelters and transitional housing.  
  • Mental Health – clubhouse.  Provides alternative to traditional mental health services for individuals who might not otherwise seek and receive treatment, PIR
  • Early Intervention
  • Education & Employment

RFT (Richmond Fellowship Tasmania)
(03) 6228 3344
admin@rftas.org.au

www.rft.org.au 
RFT is Tasmania’s leading provider of community-based mental health services.  They actively work with you in your own recovery process with tailored programs to provide you with solutions and skills for wellbeing.  They can guide, support and assist you with:
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
Personalised case management
Residential Rehabilitation
Recreation and Rehabilitation Program
Outreach Recovery Program
Connect-In Centre
Partners in Recovery (PIR)
Peer Support Services
Planning and Assessment
Networks with other health professionals, to ensure all your needs are met.

DHHS - Tasmania

www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/housing/housing_connect

Toll Free No: 1800 800 588

Housing Connect is the one-stop shop for all your housing and support needs. One assessment for everything from emergency accommodation to a long-term home.  Housing Connect can help you with:
•    Applying for social housing
•    Support and advice with your private rental, including bond and rent arrears
•    Finding a bed for the night
•    Support and advice on how to stay in your home
•    Seeking assistance following family violence
•    Information and advice on your housing options

Thinking of you and hope that someone can help you asap,

Lunar

redheaded
Senior Contributor

@Mazarita thanks for the reply.
I do have a temp case manager this week, but we agreed not to arrange new accommodation without input from normal case manager as I'm needing to move into supported accommodation.
I don't know how long I'll be able to stay at my friends. He has his own mental health issues and needs a lot of space. I don't want to push it too hard.
redheaded
Senior Contributor

@Lunar thanks

I have been homeless for an extended periox @redheaded. The Salvation Army were very helpful for short term accommodation. The Richmond Fellowship provide supported accommodation and I spent 6 months with them. After living on the streets for months it was luxurious.
Good luck with finding somewhere warm. Hugzzz 💕
redheaded
Senior Contributor

@Kurra I used to live at Richmond fellowship 2.5 years ago, I can't go back there.
I had a convo with my mate, he said I can stay here til my case manager gets back so at least I have somewhere to stay.
redheaded
Senior Contributor

So I spoke to my case manager today. I t's going to be a while before I find place... Yay to officially being homeless now...i feel really bad for my friend in having to put up with me...and family isn't an option. I just want to feel safe again
TAB
Senior Contributor

@redheaded hope things are stable .. Ive imposed on/asked people before well only asked for couple nights and ended up driving around in early hours trying to find somewhere after being summarily ejected, then car died, etc was interesting times also was turfed out when way younger after went to city to visit brother who had let bad crowd take over his life. Slept in parks, drank from taps found at back of churches hitchhiked had near miss after picked up by paedophile etc hope you have found somewhere
redheaded
Senior Contributor

@TAB thanks for sharing your story.

I haven't found a place yet and my best mate is getting sick of me so I don't know how much longer I can stay here.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance