Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Making order out of chaos

Understood @utopia. I hope you have nice neighbours and friendly staff. 🙂

Hi forumites

Just wanted to briefly say something about MH today.

I think I'm learning about the importance of just doing "something". I don't exactly know how to explain that, but what I basically mean is that there is an important factor in our lives and sometimes we just have to choose something. Whether or not it's MH related, there is importance in just doing "something". So maybe it is seeing a particular psych, taking a new medication, trying a new routine, or working somwhere else, a new job etc.

This was brought on by my recent decision to undertake more study - to teach english. I was thinking about it yesterday and how it's not what I expected I would be doing but that maybe that is okay anyway? MAybe it is okay to have this quandary. I think it is better to be doing something rather than nothing.

Hopefully we can generalise that and apply it to our lives - better to be doing something even if it is a bit odd or unexpected, than nothing at all

@Phoenix_Rising @CheerBear @Queenie @Snowie @frog @Sans911 @Former-Member @candycane @lola @Teej @Former-Member @utopia @Former-Member @Bimby2 @Mazarita @Former-Member @eth @Zoe7 @Faith-and-Hope @Former-Member @Determined @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Appleblossom @MDT @Former-Member @Former-Member @Bella1978 @Catcakes @Former-Member @Jojo2 @Smc @Former-Member @Ant7 @Sophia1 @Former-Member @Owlunar @Former-Member @Lunar @SleepyPanda @Former-Member @NikNik @Lauz @Adge @Former-Member @greenpea @Shaz51 @Appleblossom @Lilyq @TAB @oceangirl @Jacques

Sometimes @MDT 'doing something' is what gets us through the day and other times we need to rest and contemplate what we have been doing. I am finding that that quiet reflection is just as important as the 'doing' - but they go hand in hand - we can't contemplate what we have done unless we have actually done something. For me atm just getting bits of housework done each day is the doing - and despite how I am feeling generally - it gives me pause to think about the small things I have achieved as although they are indeed small things they are achievements nonetheless!

Yeah exactly @Zoe7 I think reflecting on what's been done also helps and can be good.

I think atm I'm trying to do both

Life needs to be about balance @MDT - that is definitely something I am learning.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Interesting post once again @MDT. Indeed it is important to be active of body and mind, as inactivity does lead to depression and anxiety as we then tend to dwell on the negatives and overthink - feeding mental health issues and will decline. Your post makes sense to me.

Sometimes there are activities that are a must for survival - cleaning, cooking, exercise, work etc that does give a sense of achievement  but not always fulfilment. So while I do believe that doing something is better than doing nothing at home all day for sure - the choices of the kind activities or work I do are just as important to keeping busy; these activities must have meaning and purpose to me, something I love and done with love - something I just don't do for myself but where it offers something of benefit to others and society at large; - making other lives better as well. That way I connect my body, mind and spirit which creates wholeness and sounder mental health.

Yeah @Former-Member A more wholistic approach.

I actually found that was one of the reasons why I quit my other job - because it was dull, meaningless and depressing. Something better than nothing? Sure. But then again doing nothing was seeming like a better option and I Think when that happens it is a sign that it is time to move on to something else

Hello @MDT

I love what you have written and the way you have put your words together...

Your shift in thinking perhaps as a result of some changes in your life comes across as fresh ...encouraging...achievable...

You have also written in a style that does not focus mainly on your self....more on the idea..

Therefore to my mind you do not come across as a martyr....rather an inspirer...

You will make a brilliant english teacher....well done...

allowing yourself to be open to life...leaving a pathway for change and new opportunities without judgement...

Thank you...

thank you for your kind words @Sophia1
They mean a lot 🙂

You are more than welcome...

I know without a doubt that you have a kind heart...

thinking as you do....any student tutored by yourself will be privileged..

I wish that you could have been there for my son...

when are you leaving for China?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance