Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Suicide prevention

That's great to hear @Rosie1961.

I agree with you @Rosie1961

Thank you. I'm so glad someone does as I feel quite passionate about this ie the failure of our mental health system to help so many people.

@Rosie1961.
Am I understanding your idea correctly? That you are wanting a service you can ring and explain and talk about your thoughts of suicide - only. So it's for people who want help - to not end their lives, but simply reaching out for some help, anonymously. Without fear of being 'picked up' and taken to the public psych ward. Is that right?
I recently had a huge scare of going into the public locked psych ward. Just the thought of being in a place where I might encounter someone like the man who set my Mental Health journey off. I was truly terrified that I would be placed in great danger again - like I was in my workplace 3 years ago. So that fear. That feeling of helplessness and terror. I understand.
My feelings about an anonymous service, is that people generally call a suicide service for help. Those who have already made the decision to die, would not likely use it.
This Forum offers anonymity. Members can freely express how they are feeling. Members can ask for advice on staying safe without having to go to hospital.
My other thought on this is;
Sometimes the earlier we seek help from our gp, psychologist or psychiatrist, the better our chances are of being 'treated' at home.

@utopia
It is very common for people who have decided to die to reach out for human contact as a last desperate bid for help. To speak to someone who believes them and doesn't just tell them to stop being melodramatic. Innocuous comments such as 'I can't do it anymore' are common and should not be ignored.
If you get the opportunity I strongly recommend attending an ASIST course (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training).

Thanks @Kurra

Rosie1961, I understand your fear, and would like to suggest talking with a Mental Health Worker. We are not able to commit anyone to a Psych ward but are available to listen and help those with Mental Illness on a road to recovery. We understand the road is not always straight and does have its valleys and hills but we are always there to provide any help along the way with any carer or family/friends that you nominate. I have lived experience and work in the industry. Please don’t be silent, one of my aims is to rid our world of this stigma and enjoy open acceptance that we all have mental health issues in our life just like we have physical health issues - hey we all talk about the broken leg or arm we had when we were kids so why can’t we say we have experienced depression on occasions. This can only build community awareness and a society prepared to assist others like when we attend a car accident to help the injured. To this end I am starting to build resilience in our youth and encouraging them to talk about their mental issues. Happy to help where I can Rosie1961.

Hi @Rosie1961.

I love your idea and think it would be a great, life saving service for we silent ones.  I think it is hard for people who don't have constant suicidal thoughts to understand that we know ourselves and our level of danger better than the professionals (or the volunteers).  That we can get to the precipice with our toes over the edge, looking down and know that we will probably live to fight another day.  We just need to talk it out with someone without fear, without judgement.

I have been sectioned and though it wasn't traumatic it was frustrating and damaging.  I almost lost my job and this put me in a worse place that I was to begin with.  I think of this everytime I feel suicical and contemplate ringing Lifeline, telling my GP, psychologist or psychiartrist.  I do not tell them the truth.  I know the "right" answers to their questions to allay their concerns, I know how to step back and cover up if I let slip and say too much.  I know this means I will not get the proper treatment but the public mental health system is not the right treatment. 

My ex committed suicide after being let go from a public mental health ward, at night, with too much medication.  He presented himself as suicidal and they didn't believe him.  I and many others have no faith in the system and so we stay silent.  And so, like my ex, we die alone. 

Hi I am new and your post resonated so deeply with me. I battle Post traumatic stress disorder and am considered a high suicide risk. I'm lucky to have survived; apparently.
I find myself reluctant at times to call support lines because I cannot count both hands the number of times the police and ambulance have been called and I have been forced into a mental health unit. Usually unable to handle my trauma and often my thoughts of suicide are escalated by this action.
You have my support.

It's  a tough one isnt it. What the professionals think we need,  to what we know we need. But services dont provide. Im sure there are many profesionals that would agree. We need change. But it needs to be done in  close consultation with the people who are in need of extra support during these very difficult times.

My own experience recently has been negative with the crisis team. Where i could be refered by my psychiatrist and gain assistance within twenty four hours and have the same case manager. For some reason the powers to be have  changed the system. Now what hapens it goes to a triage nurse, who contacted me two days later. Who said  she would refer me to the crisis team. Heard nothing for another four days. Then had to wait for a team meeting the next day to asign me to a case worker. That person rang me, and we had a talk and said he would ring me  in a few day to see how i was. Over two weeks later ive heard nothing! How is that supose to be helpful?. Im told to ring the crisis line (which i have done, only to be put on hold indefinately)

Up untill recently, i found the crisis team very supportive. They would call me during my worse time of day. Ask me how i had spent the day, how i was feeling, what my plans were for the next day. It was a real life line. I felt that someone really cared, and was compasionate toward me. It really kept me going to the next phone call.

The powers to be have changed the system and it clearly doesnt work. I am taking this up with my psychiatrist to see where i can take it to. Its like when they took psychologists out of community health. It let so many people without ongoing help.

I have always had a fear of being taken to hospital against my will. 

I am soooo supersensitive to rejection. I feel so guilty about those suicidal thoughts. I am crying out silently for help. But noone hears. 

I have often thought if only there was a safe place to go. Somewhere where i could talk out my thoughts without judgement. Somewhere where i could feel accepted as i am at that momentl somewhere to have a coffee. Sounds strange i know.

I really feel there is a big gap in the system. So in my perfect world this is what would hapen.

A drop in centre operating 24hours a day with access to profesional help

A common area with tea/coffee 

A quiet area if i want to be alone

Access  to resources i.e drs, psychiatrist, psychologist etc

Somewhere i can walk into and talk to a person  how i feel  24/7  365 days a year

Somewhere where i can be guided into a action plan. Given some specific stratagies  to try.

A place where i can learn new skills like dbt distress tolerance.  Voluntary group work where i can connect with other people and we can support each other.

A place where there are volunteers with lived experiance (maybe need some kind of training as well)

What do others think? Would a drop in centre that operated 24/7 work. It would need some profesionals on board. Is this something Sane can take up? Explore the posibility.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance