Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: All Things Sport...

Well done to your Parra Eels!

@Zoe7 

💙💛

Nill all so far

Cmon Swansea!

Thanks @Eve7 They didn't play well but somehow found a way to win.

Swansea lost in the 89th min. Oh well. They played well.

Good night @Zoe7 @Eve7

Oh that sucks @MDT So close Smiley Frustrated

@WIP  This is our sports thread. More than happy for you to join in with us here Smiley Very Happy

What AFL team do you follow? Do you follow any other sports?

Thanks @Zoe7 

being from Melb, I'm definitely an AFL girl. Have followed Carlton from the day I was born.  It's good to see that they are finally doing alright so far this season.

Dont follow many of codes, but enjoy the Olympics when they are on. 

I see you follow the Rugby too....

I do follow the rugby and the English Premier League. I don't have an Aussie soccer team but like to see Wellington Phoenix doing well. My English soccer team is Liverpool and AFL team the Lioms - both of which I have also been following from the day I was born. My family have a long history with the Lions when they were Fitzroy so I was born into it ...and wouldn't have it any other way. Liverpool was similar - the funny thing is I started following them from the time I knew about soccer and then my Mum told me about her connection to Liverpool so een though I didn't know that it must have been something inbuilt in me from her also. Parramatta is my NRL team and similarly have followed them all my life as well - no connection to the team family-wise so not sure why I started following the but they have been my team all my life as well.

I follow the Miami Dolphins in the NFL  - basically any kind of football I love.

It is great to see your Blues doing well this year @WIP . They are great to watch when they pull it all together.

I used to watch every single bit of the Olympics I could but have lost interest in it over the years. I think part of that has been because there are so many 'championships' on each year and it has taken some gloss off the olympics as being the thing to work towards and achieve in. I also do not like how many of the 'champions' have later been found to be 'drup-enhanced' or the questions around some using performance enhsncing drugs while competing ...it takes away from the achievements of those that are clean and is focussed on too much in the media.

I don't follow Soccer at all.  Have never really gotten into it.  My first boyfriend played, and I used to go and watch him and didn't really have much of an idea of what what going on.  Being bought up on AFL, that in Soccer there's no hands touching the ball, really confused me.  Same with Rubgy, I went with a girlfriend to go and see Melbourne Storm play - it was the day after I'd been to the 'G' and seen the Blues play, and I found myself yelling out "that's a high tackle - can't do that".  I got many side way looks from the other supporters 😉  They could tell I had no idea what was going on.

My father was a Carlton Tragic, actually an AFL tragic.  He'd been a Carlton member since he was 12 years old, and had been to almost 60 Grand Finals in a row.  He passed away last year, so I really do miss talking footy with him.  His knowledge of the game was unbelievable.  I remember he told me a story of when he met an Eagles supporter at the pub before on the Grand Finals and the guy was quizzing Dad on Eagles players etc.  Dad was able to answer everything accurately, so the guy assumed he followed West Coast.  Dad corrected him that he was a Blues man, and then they started talking about all other teams, certain games, certain players, who won Norm Smith Medals each year etc etc.  I think the guy was trying to trip Dad up, but he ended up just being completely blown away, and said to Dad "You're a walking encyclopedia of AFL - there's nothing you don't know".  Quietly, I know Dad was very proud of that compliment.

And he'd be so happy to see the Blue Boys playing with some fight and heart this season, after so many bad years. 

That's interesting @Zoe7 your family has  along history with the Lions, my Dad had connections with the club too.  Fitzroy was always his 2nd team and it broke his heart when they moved up North.

I went to FItzroys last game in Melbourne @WIP and up until that point was not really sure whether I would follow them as the Brisbane Lions or not. But after talking to some of the players and others supporters it made my mind up for me. Some of the biggest factors was the history, colours and name being retained and knowing there would always be a connection kept to Fitzroy. 1996 was a really tough year though - the Tassie Devils basketball team I followed dispanded, along with Fitzroy merging and my Nan died all in the space of a few months - things come in 3s hey!!!

My Mum's cousin played for Fitzroy and my Dad was recruited there but informed the club the night before he was supposed to leave that he wouldn't be going. He was a brilliant footballer but nerves often got the better of him before games and I think he didn't believe he was good enough - which from all I have heard from so far from the truth ...but we know how hard it is to get that voice out of our heads and find our own self-worth Smiley Sad

Your Dad sounded amazing Hon - and you seem like you were really close. I am sorry to hear you lost him last year but if it is any consolation I am happy to talk footy with you anytime 👍

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance