Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Powderfinger
Senior Contributor

Birthday card from my mother.

There is no contact between my mother and I. Hasn't been for a long time now. I don't hear from her and she doesn't hear from me. 

The only time I do is on my birthday. She sends me an e-card to my email address. Other than that I don't hear a word from her ever. 

It was my birthday on Monday ( thanks in advance for the kind thoughts if you want to wish me happy birthday. I ask that you do not. I've moved on. Had a terrible birthday and I'd rather just forget about it) 

I havn't opened the email and I havn't read the card. It's an email address I don't use anymore. I may sign in once every six months, if that. 

I think to myself, what the point anymore of opening and reading it? I just feel empty when I look at it. I think to myself why does she send me one when I never hear from her at any other time. Why does she bother. I find it hard to believe she does it out of love. If she loved me then why wouldn't she get in touch other than once a year on my birthday? 

Every year she does this it is a reminder of all the pain, hurt, loss, grief. I almost felt tempted to say, you know what just don't send me a card every year anymore and leave the email just at that. 

I didn't though. I didn't because I don't even know if it would cause her pain or not  I have no idea anymore whether she even has any care for me  I've just left it unopened and unread. I don't need this right now with everything I'm already dealing with. 

There's just nothing for me to say in return. I feel empty and non responsive. Just feel completely dead inside myself. 

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Birthday card from my mother.

Hi @Powderfinger ,

Thank you for posting. I hear you and I know that things are very difficult for you at the moment.

I acknowledge your strength in being able to reach out. 

I hope things will eventually fall into place for you. 

Only last year, while on a family chat, my sister msgd 'Happy Birthday' to me. My mother responded - 'Who's birthday?' - and no, my mother does NOT have dementia or memory loss.

All I can say is, your mother is thinking about you.

Im here if you need a chat.

Hugs, BPDSurvivor 

Hi @Powderfinger @BPDSurvivor

My mum found out that one of her relatives lost a child recently. She found this out via facebook. No one told her anything.

Family can be hard cant it.

Youre both in my thoughts and i also want to say its always good to see both of you around the forums 🙂

Thanks for sharing, a lot of pain.  I lost my mother after 3 years as a dementia carer, very stressful and sad. 

@Powderfinger I am truly sorry that you are going through such a tough time. I could say 'lately' but it seems to be ongoing. You must be feeling frazzled.

I am sorry, also, that you have such a painful relationship with your mother. We only get one set of parents and sibs, and those relationships can be so destructive. How I wish it wasn't so. I can feel your hurt. Your mother thought of you on your birthday. That tells me that she thinks of you at other times, too. Don't think otherwise. To be honest, I think you think of her too. It's difficult not to. Family are part of who we are. Perhaps you wish it all wasn't so difficult and so painful. I don't know what has happened between you. I truly wish I could make it better. I don't have a relationship with my daughters and it hurts. I miss them so much. I don't know how to fix it either. 

If you want to reply, please be kind. I'm very low at the moment.

I send my best wishes to you, @Powderfinger. Be kind to yourself. 😊

Hello, my name is Mara, I have a 24 year old daughter, I lost my husband to suicide when my daughter was 3, I guess I took it out on my baby with unkind behaviour, but during the past 5 years I have been doing everything for her, she has decided not to converse with me via voice, but being her Mother I know our Love will never fade and no man can replace this amazing connection, you are a gift to your Mum, please don't give up on her, I will pray that God will give you peace, Godbless you.

Hey @Powderfinger 

I feel for you and I'm sorry your mum is treating you like this. 
my parents stopped talking to me for 4 years after telling them if my childhood abuse. It was my dads birthday so I posted a card and present. It got sent back to me. Boy was I hurt and I'll never forget how my mum treated me. 

I can't understand why parents have to be like this because the pain on their children is horribly painful. 

sending you lots of hugs 

ps. Happy belated birthday xxxooo

I would have felt guttered @BlueBay . I don't think I could cope with such rejection. You are one mighty strong person @BlueBay ! I admire your resilience and strength!

And @Maritza , thank you for sharing your story. I appreciate your post immensely. It must be so difficult, yet you can still reach out to others. Thank you.

Thanks @BPDSurvivor i was guttered for a very long time. I'm pretty sure it was my mum's doing. I could never see my dad doing something so horrible. 
I was hospitalised a few times over the four years while not talking or seeing my dad. 

@Owen45 

All I can say is I give you a big hug. Words are hard for me at the moment. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance