Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Special Online Event // Breaking the stigma of mental illness// Thurs 18 Oct, 9 30pm

I've learned to hide signs of anxiety from my family. I do this to avoid having to explain myself all the time and see their eyes roll. Was this something the cast found relevant?

Absolutely. And I’m surprised the curvature of the earth hasn’t shifted by the eye roll and exasperated exhale we all have to give our family members in return 😉 I have had my fair share. Unfortunately, the emotion is see behind the eyes all too often is still 'sharpen up' or 'stop complaining and get on with things'

One day they’ll get it, but hopefully not as themselves being a patient.

Re: Special Online Event // Breaking the stigma of mental illness// Thurs 18 Oct, 9 30pm

well said @cameron @s-jay

I think I would've had the same response to the reviewer (ie laughing). It seems like there is a vast gap between the people with lived experience and the media outlets who try to tell their viewers/readers what should or shouldn't be the focus.

If I had a dollar for everytime someone tried to tell me i was okay "because I am white" or "male" I'd be rich by now. I think that the mass media and their obsession with group identity really doesn't help mental health. I also noticed that they did that in the show a bit - which to be perfectly honest did bug me.

Mental health doesn't discriminate.

Either way thanks for the response @cameron

Hi @Claired that's a fair point - I guess inherent to "diagnosis" is medicalisation and same can be said for psychiatry in general... Trauma-informed practices are more common in social work etc but thankfully are slowly becoming more common across the board in health.

@Claired With the severely limited exposure we had to the mental health professionals, I can't provide an informed opinion. It wasn't really discussed much in the show, but for 90% of us, we were not even introduced to them until very late in the week. I just don't have enough information to provide an answer.

@cameron wrote:

I’m surprised the curvature of the earth hasn’t shifted by the eye roll and exasperated exhale we all have to give our family members in return 😉 

🤣You could have used this in the stand up!!!!!!!

I keep trying to educate. Even if I get eye rolled. Most think about what I've said.

Mental illness doesn't discriminate, indeed.

I also don't use the common words they associate but more the feelings and symptoms. Anyways wonderful discussion as always. Have a good one everybody 🙂

oh my goodness 

so sorry to hear of Andy passing away

I thought that he was extremely brave 

I am hoping that in allowing his appearance to go to air that the family feel that he will be honoured..

Thank you @cameron 

This news would be difficult for you also...Thank you for respectfully letting us know this way.

Sophia

So... nearly coming to the end of our session, loved the convo so far - but second last Q:

this question was also submitted during the week, and would love to hear from Cameron and everyone on the topic of stigma: Is stigma a learned condition because it seems to be absent in young children who happily play with others whom adults may well prefer to shun?”

I think it's somewhat learned behaviour for sure. What makes us judge other's? Watching and hearing others do that usually when we are young

I need to go in a moment @cameron, but just wanted to add; I really identified with your propensity for proportion as shown with your drawing. I love numbers, patterns and stat's. I see the world sometimes this way. It helps to keep distance from emotions.

It's been a really interesting ride along.

Thanks and best wishes for the future;

Hope

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance