Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

@greenspace I feel like that is not an option. My MP does not love me as I was a political candidate in the state election and I push him to make commitments for our community haha. Not sure what else I can do though to be honest.

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

Ah, ok I understand @Former-Member thanks so much for the clarification!

I'm actually starting up with a new Clinical Psychologist in the coming weeks who is Neurodivergent themselves, I think that will be a great start on my potential NDIS journey. Thanks again!

@NBB - no, you need to meet the criteria that the NDIS sets out for a mental health issue (psychosocial disability) - https://www.ndis.gov.au/understanding/how-ndis-works/mental-health-and-ndis Will have all the information you'd need however i would focus on the evidence form and fact sheets 😄

Next question...

There can be times when applications for NDIS are rejected, and there can be many reasons for this. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t request a review/ appeal. What are the options for review?  

@Former-Member 

Many times an NDIS application can be rejected when an applicant is eligible and this is largely based on a lack of evidence.
In regards to mental health issues information can be sought from a range of sources, beginning with your treating GP who is able to fill out all necessary information.
They will need to have this information beforehand so if you have a documented history this can act as the best information.

Should this be rejected there are multiple avenues for review including access requests and decisions made while on the scheme such as decisions around funding amounts and types of funding.

https://ourguidelines.ndis.gov.au/home/reviewing-decision/reviewing-our-decisions/what-if-you-dont-a...

@7cough9 that's so amazing to hear and thank you so much for sharing. <br>It's great to hear that you have been provided with funding and supports that you have found useful and satisfying.<br><br>I have formal diagnoses of ADHD and ASD, as well as secondary diagnoses of Depression, Anxiety, and an Eating Disorder, so am not looking for funding in that instance, but more to assist with the different therapies available as well as any other supports my care team think can really assist me.

@Former-Member Thank you.

Q2:Does one need to connect with NDIS liason support according to region?

Q3: Once you open yr process is there a time-limit expiry for completion (As per My Aged CAre packaging)?

@NBB pretty sure that medication is relevant but not essential. One criterion for disability is that it is almost certainly not going to go away - either because you have tried medications or other treatment programs that are offered, and they are not effective enough to "cure" or completely remedy your symptoms. OR, because the medications / treatments / remedies have costs or side effects that you will keep needing help to work around (e.g. a support person visiting to ensure you dose you up).

I believe there  are  mental health conditions like personality disorders that resist almost any kinds of treatments / remedies including medications. So surely they would qualify someone for disability status?

ADHD is currently not counted as a disability because it supposedly responds to medication - even though the effectiveness can vary widely.

@NBB the NDIA asks for evidence that there are no further treatments that could improve the condition, in other words, they want to know that you've tried everything that is evidence-based and reasonable for you to try. So if you have a condiition that's supposedly treatable with meds, they'd want to know that you'd tried meds

@NBB

2 - best advice i can give there unforuntately would be to call - this will require a wait time. 
1800 800 100.

3. there are some limitations however i would recommend getting a bit of an idea of what reports you can get from who and how before making an access request. Once you are confident of who would best suit your case (treating doctor, allied health professionals etc), THEN you can make an access request to the NDIS - which can be done verbally over the phone on 1800 800 100. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance