Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Elizabeth27
Casual Contributor

Hi All,

I have just been diagnosed with BPD after suffering many years of severe depression.  I’m feeling lost 😞 and not really sure what to make of this diagnosis.  I also suffer with a neurological condition which causes many headaches and migraines along with chronic pain.  I’m really trying to see the positives of my current situation, but it’s just so challenging 😥 

12 REPLIES 12
Satine
Casual Contributor

Re: Newbie

Hello @Elizabeth27,

This all sounds very painful and confusing. I am so sorry for all this. Maybe at this stage allow yourself to just stop at times and feel the reality of your recent diagnosis and other issues. Allow yourself to feel the emotional pain. Then literally take time to speak kind words of encouragement to yourself. This has helped me at times. Take a moment to do something special. Make some delicious tea, in a lovely cup and saucer and spend time on a kindness ritual, showing love and patience toward yourself, the BPD and illnesses. It’s not your fault, and you are worthy of so much more. Give it to yourself.

SkiptheDog
Casual Contributor

Hi Newbie, 

I feel your struggle… I too have just been diagnosed with BPD and have a a history of depression. What I found that helps is learning as much as you can about the condition that way when you have those intense moments you can kind of rationalise a bit and talk yourself through it. I struggled a lot with my anger and the treatment of others when I have my intense feelings, which then spirals into shame and guilt, but now I do my best to explain what I am feeling and that I need support through this rather than fighting it. What has also helped is medication, which of course is not for everyone but it has definitely helped balance me out. 

When finally being diagnosed it can feel very overwhelming and confronting for some people as it can be a lot to take in. Take you time to process these emotions, thoughts and feelings that come with learning something new about yourself. 

Seek out support groups like Sane and other online groups, speak to your GP to see if they are aware of any supports that may assist you in your area. They may be able to refer you to someone like a counsellor that has experience in mental health conditions.

Also check out the learning and getting support section on then forum for more resources.

It can feel very isolating and alone but know you arent alone on this journey and have lots of things to discover about the diagnosis, which should also answer any questions you may unsure of or in need of finding out. If it doesn't their is always people who will be able to help you find out the information you may need.

A diagnosis does not define you as a person, you are still you but it may help you understand how it may effect your feelings and emotions. Education about your diagnosis can be a very positive tool moving forward with your life.🤗

Hi @Elizabeth27 , I remember feeling the same when I was diagnosed with BPD. It's an incredibly stigmatised and complex mental health condition. I have found that the positive of having BPD is that while I feel my negative emotions loudly, I get to feel my positive ones equally as loudly! I am incredibly empathetic and when I'm motivated I get heaps done. 

Things I have found helpful on my own journey are: mood stabilisers, cold water immersion (ocean swimming, turning the shower to cold right at the end, dunking head in a bowl of ice water.), exercise (social sport!) yoga, prioritising sleeping and eating well and THERAPY. 

Thanks so much for your great response. I need to be kinder to myself ☺️

Thank you so much for your kind words. You sound so much like my Psychologist. ☺️

Oh, SkiptheDog, I’m so sorry for your diagnosis too.  Gosh, reading what you were explaining is EXACTLY how I feel with my temper.  It doesn’t happen very often, but it does happen.  

I no longer work, as I’ve become unreliable, unfortunately.  It’s been a huge learning curve.  

I just have to read as much as I can, see my Psychiatrist and Psychologist and just take it one day at a time.

It’s starting to sink in now, reading beautiful comments, letting me know that I AM a good person.  I am an Empath too, and would do anything I could for anyone.

thank you for sharing your experiences around BPD.  I sincerely appreciate it! ☺️

Hey @SkiptheDog , the post above from @Elizabeth27 was for you 🙂 Happy reading!

@Elizabeth27 , I was diagnosed with BPD in my early adulthood. And I can also say I've come out on top of it on the other side. Yes, it was a challenging journey, but it's also been an amazing journey of discovery and learning about self. BPD is very treatable. I also had depression and anxiety with the BPD. However, when I had treatment for BPD, the depression and anxiety was so much better (with medication to help the 2 conditions). 

As a borderline, I live a very very successful and satisfying life. 

It is possible.

Do you have supports in place for yourself?

Feel free to visit Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script 

I now have a psychiatrist along with my psychologist so with lots of reading and help from the above, I’m hopeful ☺️
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance