Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Russell1
Casual Contributor

Psychosis

I am a 28 year old male, who has always suffered with anxiety and depression. I have been seeing a psychologist regularly in the last year, to try to get to grips with it. I was on medical marijuana since October last year, I started detoxing on the 26th of Feb. On the 2nd of March, I had a psychotic event and my parents took me to the hospital. They've put me on medication to get balance and I'm struggling with understanding my whole situation. Any help and support and advice, would be greatly appreciated.  

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Psychosis

Hi there @Russell1 

We wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums.

We hope that you find the forums a great place to connect with other members, share stories and ideas, and find the support and connection you deserve.

Feel free to Introduce yourself here if you haven’t already!

We look forward to seeing you around on the forums!

Are you looking for support regarding your mental health?

Hi @Russell1 

Welcome and well done on creating your first post.

I hope you find what you are looking for here on the forums.

It sounds like you are having a tough time right now, but hopefully the medication you are taking at the moment will help (I know with some medications it can take a few weeks to have the full/desired effect and you start noticing a difference).

Are you still seeing your psychologist?

What is it in particular you are struggling with understanding?  

Detoxing and starting new medications can be really rough on your body both mentally and physically so try and be kind to yourself.

Warm regards

SkySeeker22

Yes I need help with understanding why I'm hearing voices and if they have any meaning. 

Unfortunately my psychologist isn't back until the 4th of April, I'm also having trouble getting a psychiatrist who will see me under the mental health plan provided for me. 

Hi @Russell1,

Thank you for sharing.

That's great you have a psychologist that it sounds like you're happy with?

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this experience since detoxing from Cannabis, sadly it can be a tricky one when we have underlying mental health challenges.

Do you feel like the new medication is helping?

And what @SkySeeker22 said is so true, it can take time for things to start working and we must be kind to ourselves as it is such a delicate time.

You mentioned that you're hearing voices, has this only started recently?

And you can't see your psychologist until the 4th of April, at least it's not too far away. But perhaps you could see someone in the meantime if you're interested? I know there are some great support services online and in-person, depending on your preference and location.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Take care,

defaultusername

I am happy with my psychologist, My parents who I live with say I am improving, but I still feel lost and confused in it. The voices only started when I had my psychotic episode. And they have continued on and off ever since, not as often now as in the beginning. They don't tell me to harm myself or anyone else, they just seem to be critical voices of me. I would like it if you could recommend a psychiatrist that will see me under my mental health plan. I live in Mt Druitt in Sydney and I've had no success in finding one that will. I would be interested in traveling if I had to. Or go on a waiting list if necessary. I really feel speaking to a psychiatrist would make me feel more confident, going forward. 

Hi @Russell1 🙂

I am glad to read that you're happy with your current psychologist, as well as learning that you're parents see some improvement in you - however, it sounds like you still feel lost and confused and this is something I definitely encourage you to bring up to your psychologist and further explore to identify what this means to you and where it's coming from.

As for psychiatrist referrals, I am wondering if you've had a convo with your current GP (if you have one) - and if they are able to write you up a referral to gain access to one?

I like that you have a plan going forward, and know what you want and need right now - you got this!

That is great you are happy with your psychologist @Russell1 and that your parents see an improvement in you, but I'm sorry that you've had to deal with this since your episode, I can only imagine how challenging that would be. I'm also sorry to hear that you're still feeling lost and confused.

I agree with @PizzaMondo,'s suggestion, perhaps asking your GP for a referral to a psychiatrist, as they may know of a good one that might be a right fit for you.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated.

I hope you're having a good Easter break!

Take care,

defaultusername

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance