Skip to main content

Re: Topic Tuesday // Creating and maintaining social connections // Tues 20 Nov, 7pm AEDT

I don't communicate with them about my MI - I keep it all to myself. I have tried but they either don't want to hear or I decide not to say anything further

Re: Topic Tuesday // Creating and maintaining social connections // Tues 20 Nov, 7pm AEDT

@jess_27

I struggle communicating my mentsl illness to my family. They do know but not to the full extent. I don’t tell my family I have BPD. They understand thst I hsve depression anxiety snd ptsd. 

Thanks @Former-Member

Hi @jess_27

Hi everyone.

Yes, this is a really important topic.

I struggle with it too.

I also have CPTSD, Sleep Apnea (daily fatigue), & now complications & IBS from my 3 major bowel surgeries.

Adge

I'm sorry to hear that. What strategies have you tried to communciate in the past? And why is it you don't think they worked?

Glad you could join us @Adge 🙂

Before I had my medication I would have flashes of anger (I am bipolar 1 and schizoaffective) now that I am on medication and seeing a psychologist and psychiatrist my moods have calmed down although I miss my fiery self at times. Now I am verging on being a zombie but my family prefer it in fact they say how happy they are with how I am atm.

I am very familiar with the anger and Bipolar 1. I sometimes miss my fiery self too. But I am very thankful for our medication and treatment have helped my relationships. Have you found your relationships have improved since treatment?

To be honest I don't think my family want to know anything because they can't handle it @jess_27 - and there is too much that I can't disclose to them which makes it harder for me to connect with them on things

My relatives all live inter-state.

They are not open to admitting they have MI - or to any discussion of mine.

Except when they want to use MI as a label to blame (esp on me).

Adge

Hi @jess_27, @Former-Member, @greenpea@Adge@BlueBay and anyone following along. 

I guess im wondering what maintaining relationships is. What does that look like to most people?