Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: My Inheritance

Hi @Corny

Nice to hear from you again. How are you going?

I can relate to you on some levels with family. Im the 'second mother 'to my 2 siblings as well as a carer for my pop (previously my nan before she passed away) and am often given the guilt trip for many things so like you to take care of myself it feels unusual and sometimes the wrong thing to do- is that the same for you as well?
What sorts of things do you do to take care of yourself? What sorts of things do you like to do? Its important to do things you enjoy too even though sometimes we arent motivated or cant be bothered.

Im glad youve come along way with your self care and also boundaries too. Can be so hard cant it!

Have you had a chance to have a sticky beak around the forums? Theres some social threads on the carers side like the hot chocolate thread @Faith-and-Hope suggested as well as helpful hints and tips too. Whatever your most comfortable with though 🙂

sending you lots of tender hugs @Corny, and letting you know you are not alone my friend

soo keep in touch xx

Thank you @outlander@Shaz51 for your kind thoughts and warm wishes. I love hugs, so thanks.

Like most people I have my ups and downs, and try to juggle supporting Mum and managing my own mental health problems, honoring my own experiences and emotions while also trying to help Mum as much as I can. Not an easy task, given my childhood had a lot of abuse unfortunately, and I find it hard to grieve my own grief while helping her. 

Its the 8th anniversary of my Dad's suicide in a month and I can feel Mum tightening her grip around me. It breaks my heart, and takes me back to not a very nice time as you can imagine. I left my life and lived with her for two and a half years to help her through it and make sure she didn't go the same way......she gets very obsessive with me around this time of year, and this look in her eyes that pains me. ......hopefully her trauma doesn't flare too much. She gets bad insomnia at times and is still very hypervigilant. 

Very complex emotions arise, but I do my best to manage it all. Still attend regular medical appointments. My shrink is pretty amazing actually. I know I have won the lottery and am very, very lucky that he took me on when his books were closed. 

So I guess I am doing all the right things as best I can. I hurt my hip so haven't been able to do my regular runs, but hope to be back into it soon. 

Thanks for caring. 

Corn Cobber

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Corny (Cornstarch) and a warm welcome to Sane forums from me. Its nice to see another familiar face. You may remember me as Taurus.

I am another one who juggles both the lived experience (PTSD as a result of violent rape) as well as being a carer for family members with mental and physical illness.

I dont have much to say right now, but just wanted to say hi as you have been immensely supportive of me in the past. So it was a really nice to see your name and profile picture come up when I was browsing tonight.

There are some really lovely people here, so I hope you find the understanding and support you are seeking. I've added this thread of yours to my subscriptions, so I will be able to keep abreast of your posts via email notifications. Pretty handy facility that.

Sherry 💕

Hello @Former-Member (T)!

Hope you are going as well as can be expected with a broken brain and caring responsibilities. It's hard caring for people that can simultaneously make you feel really down and low. I understand that complexity. 

I remember you saying that you slept  better in the winter months....I'm annoyed at myself. I was having a really good run with the sleep for about 6 weeks, was getting about 6-7 hours a night which is amazing for me. My shrink said, "you look like a completely different person".....and the other day I decided that I felt like an ignoramus and was sick of being in my cocoon of blocking out the news. So I jumped Online and read those horrible stories of the poor young women in Melbourne, and the little girl in Newcastle......kinda triggered me which isn't exactly surprising. I shouldn't have done it, because 3 nights a week I get home after peak hour, and have to walk 4-6 blocks from the bus stop in the dark past a dodgey pub, and can't avoid some dark empty streets to get to my apartment.......learnt the hard way didn't I that I am a biological wasteland, and it doesn't take much to bring on the insidious insomnia. Just too close to home......

I'm hoping I'm just having another rough patch and can reign it in.....

Lovely to see you around T!

Hello @Corny

Im sorry to hear youve hurt your hip, poor bugger makes things even tricker
I hope it heals soon and isnt too painful

Im really glad to hear youve got a great psychologist supporting you.
It is heartbreaking watching those we love struggle or in pain. Im sorry to hear about your dad too, i cant imagine what you wouldve went through

Hugs, your doing an amazing job juggling everything 💕

I agree @Corny .... it sure ain’t easy, and you’re managing .....

Hi @Former-Member @outlander ....

Just passing through, on the go.  Hoping you’re all having an okay day.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Corny, and thanks for replying.

Broken brain?  Oh yeah, its broken all right.  I really feel it right now.  Yes its true that I normally sleep better in colder months. But that is dependent on triggers, so it varies.  But in general ... yes ... I sleep more soundly in cold weather. Some thing to be said to be wrapped up in a warm and comforting doona and to feel warm and safe.  I feel very exposed and vulnerable in summer, under only a sheet.

I can totally relate about the news lately.  I read only a couple of weeks ago an article from Germaine Greer about rape.  It totally disgusted me.  It was a pretty major trigger.  Then, like you, I happened to see the news regarding the young 11 year old girl who was abducted and sexually assaulted, plus the young woman in Melbourne who was raped and murdered in Melbourne.  It was a major trigger for me too.  It could have been me, I too could have been killed. Its a horrible thing, and it shook me up quite considerably.

It is a reminder that we really need to be so careful about what we read and watch in everyday life.  There are no simple solutions to this, its everywhere - radio, newspapers, television.  Where do you draw the line between a normal life and a half-life.

Are you still a member on the 'other forum'?  I hope you're not like me and been banned for life for having an opinion. What hurt so badly was that I was an official volunteer (CC) at the time, and in desperate need of support due to a number of serious life changing events.  Unfortunately there is plainly no duty of care from management there. It does not pay to have an opinion or to speak up about things you see which are very wrong there. All they want to do is close you down and shut you up. So much for so-called support for their volunteers.  You will actually notice quite a few members here who used to be there, including other CCs. Here is a much more caring and understanding environment. And they dont change your posts to meaningless garbage.  You get to change your own posts if necessary.

I hope you are settling in here okay?  As you are both Lived Experience as well as Carers section, have you opened up a support thread in both sections yet?  I have one in each section, which is quite useful.  I find myself gravitating between the two, depending on which I find the most overwhelming at the time.

I hope you manage to get back to your previous 6-7 hours sleep at night.  Oh how I wish I could.  I cant remember the last time I had that amount of sleep.  Maybe mid last year.  More normal for me since then has been at best a couple of hours here and there.  Generally I wake up every hour or two and then have difficulty getting back to sleep.

Hubby is also a constant concern because I tend to get up and check on him a couple of times a night, just to make sure he's still breathing and not tried to get up and subsequently fallen over.

Okay, again .. its nice to see another familiar face around here.  Hope to talk again soon.

Sherry  Heart

Image result for corny

Thanks for the pic T! I loved it. You got a smile.

I haven't figured out the technicalities of this forum yet, but thanks for the tip.

Me too. Those stories triggered me, put me in a flare.......trying really hard to bring it back down, but I know I don't stand a chance until I see my shrink later in the week.....even then it seems to have a life of its own....I just have to try and ride it out the best I can. I find it so demoralising how easily I can put in a spin, and it really upsets me that I have to strip my life back and stay cocooned, but I'm trying my best to accept I have a mental illness. Some days I can, sort of......some days I just can't. A friend of mine who understands said it took until about her late 40s that she accepted it. She fought it and fought it.

I didn't realise that something went down on the BB forum and you felt unwelcome and not heard that is horrible, I'm sorry. I had my own 'incident'........I am pretty damn certain that my privacy was broken on that website by someone in the outside world or their partner. I didn't win the medal for surgery but I am not a moronic imbecile, I can join dots, and I may not be the smartest person in the world but I am very, very perceptive. As you know I was very unwell at the time and can't remember which thread/post it was, that made me go, hang on a minute......you know of me/about me/me..  and then run through my brain who I had told and figure it out.....Oh boy I was cranky. Still am.......but something that I could sense, intuit, feel, was a lot of volatility and aggression, my guess is that a lot of alias's are used which I thought was unfair and self-absorbed considering that people with mental illnesses write the replies.......so I thought, Ok, in the spirit of mental health I won't take this any further. These people clearly are not coping, and need some help. So I left it. Hopefully they got the help they need. And that is the end of the story. But I'm still cranky. And I have every right to be cranky as far as I am concerned. In the end, I am just a person. How would they feel. 

Anyways T......I am sorry that you are not sleeping. I feel your pain. There are no words of advice, because it is not psychological.....we are embodied. And our bodies are malfunctioning. It's torturous. 

Try and stay away from News websites if you can. You're a smart person, I know you like to stay informed, but its just too much...

Corny. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Corny, thats okay, its a pleasure.  Glad you liked the picture.  Another one of the many good things of here.

Yes I was meant to see my psych on Thursday, but either she or one of her children were sick, and the receptionist rang and asked to reschedule to this week.  I was terribly disappointed, because I really needed to see her.  Admittedly she is really good to me, but I really felt let down on Thursday.  The receptionist did pass on the message that I could email the psych if I needed to.  But of course I dont like to do that when she's sick.  Oh well ... I will see her this week instead. It still hurt, even though it should not have done.

Interesting what you say about the 'other forum'.  I'm sorry you went through that, it would not have been a pleasant experience.  Incidentally, my main gripe with them was also related to security and my right to remain anonymous. I cannot say any more than that, but suffice to say I felt very disillusioned unsupported and devastated by the whole experience.

I wish it were so easy as to just stay away from internet, television, radio and print media. However to think that will protect us from triggers is simply not realistic. For me, I am drawn to news about rapes and sexual assaults. I have asked my psych about it in the past, and she said that not everyone follows the 'avoidance' path.  I guess it makes some sense when you consider that, to know whats going on around us means we are better prepared and thus better able to protect ourselves.  In theory at any rate.  Its all a part of the 'hyper arousal' and hyper vigilance thing. Which is well known. There is this need to read and be constantly aware of everything related to our trauma related past. All a part of our self preservation and attempts to keep ourselves safe. I know it isn't particularly well known, mainly because everyone is very aware of 'avoidance' behaviour, and this other behaviour probably seems contradictory. But my psych says it isnt uncommon at all.

Goodness me Corny, you've always come across to me as being someone of high intelligence and yes, most definitely highly intuitive. And also incredibly aware and well informed. No wonder you were cranky.  Mind you, I can almost guarantee that to try to take it further would not have achieved anything.  I've done that, and unfortunately they just change the rules to suit themselves.  One of their most common used statements to me was: "It is at our discretion, and no further discussion will be entered into". Unfortunately you cannot argue with that, wrong though it is. 

I hope you have a better week this week Corny.  Would you like me to tag you into a few other threads which you may be interested in?  I'm happy to if you'd like.  Although I notice you have already put the Art Thread on your favourites list. Have you also worked out how to put threads onto your subscribed lists?  If there is any threads you would like to keep track of, just select the drop down option called "Post Options" and you will see several options there, including 'favourites' and 'subscribe'.  I wouldnt recommend you subscribe to threads which have heaps of posts such as Friday Feast however.  Because you will get email notifications for every post which takes place.  But personal support threads, yeah .. its a good idea to.  Your own thread for example, just in case someone posts but doesnt tag you.  You will still get an email notification.  I'm sure you will find your way around in no time.

Off to bed now.  Early apt for hubby at the eye Dr in the morning.  Followed by one for myself to get stitches out from under my eye.  They've been driving me nuts all weekend.

Sherry Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance