Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Not Coping

I talked to KHL today as I've been so stressed over this whole psych fortnightly thing and asked about the email I want to send to my psych, which has now turned into 900 words. Anyway, she thought it would be a good idea if I were worried about the length of the email to check in with him to see if it was okay. I was worried seeing people have said not to send the email. Anyway, I emailed him a little while ago, and he replied that it sounded important and that I could email him or he could call me this afternoon. That gave me a lot of anxiety, so I just asked if he could read it first and go from there. 

How nice is that, though? That he would call me. 

He called me and booked me back in for next week. 

He also apologised for bringing up the fortnightly sessions at the end of the session, which was nice. 

Glad he was responsive @Birdofparadise8 

Yeah, it was good. It was just a quick phone call, but enough to make me feel less stressed about whether I can have a session. 

He said that down the track, he could reserve a specific time for me so we know it's there if I need it during the week we don't have an appointment. I felt a bit guilty when he said that, though, like someone else could use that and if I don't go, he doesn't get paid unless he does it at a different time from the normal session, so in fact, it would be an extra for him. 

I was so upset over it and how everything happened so fast, from that to me nearly crying and then leaving. He said it wasn't the best as he knows things such as rejection or abandonment perceived or otherwise hurt a lot. He also apologised for pushing so much if I didn't feel ready. 

I'm lucky, I guess, that he lets me email him. It's also helped him read over things before the session, so I don't have a massive folder with a whole heap of paper I've printed some stuff on. 

Also lucky with this and that he would read it and even call me. I wasn't expecting that.  

You wouldn't believe the amount of anxiety that has left me just knowing I have that session next week. I'm so much calmer now @tyme

Hey there @Birdofparadise8  🙂 xx

Sorry I didn't reply yesterday, I wasnt feeling 100% (much better today).

Thank you so much regarding my friend, they are much better 🙂 

Yes, I do understand what you mean by 'new friend' and then discussing safety issues within a relatively short time, however I believe they hold me in a position of trust, so to honour that, I did agree to be a person of safety if they were feeling like they needed some support. I have also spent some time over the last year or so in an advocacy group with this same person, so we are mostly familiar with character, resilience, and strengths 🙂 

Thanks for clarifying what happened at your last psych appointment - makes sense :). I would also have thought crying in a place of safely with a trusted professional would have been the best place for that, too..? Maybe he had a different approach and as youve mentioned, was interested in grounding?

It might be worth asking him next time, what do you think? 

I do not have any significant experience dealing with psychiatrists... I have been on wait lists for over 2 and a half years, and it was many years ago that I saw one after a traffic incident (however he was only interested in medication - a lot of medication - which did not suit me in terms of adverse reactions). 

I hope you were able to figure out what to do about an appointment in between the fortnight, and whether to send an email 🙂 

I can understand how connection is a powerful helper to loneliness xx 

I hope youve been ok today, and your weekend goes as well as possible 🙂 xx

Hi @PinkFlamingo 

Oh no, that's not good. I'm sorry you haven't felt well. 

Ah, okay, that makes sense then. None of my friends would do that for me. They just leave me. 

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there. 

I am back to seeing him next week. I'm unsure if you've seen any of my other posts, but I've mentioned what has happened there. 

I wrote an 900 word email to him, but I did check to see if it was okay to send first. 

Mmm, yesterday and today haven't been that great, but I'm just happy I have my session back for next week. I have the footy tomorrow, Carlton vs GWS, so I'm nervous. Carlton has a lot of injuries. Then, on Sunday, I'm going to the zoo with some friends I met through a brunch thing. 

Sorry, I just noticed you mentioned psychiatrist @PinkFlamingo 

When I use the term psych, that is my psychologist, and Pdoc is for psychiatrists. 

Hey there @Birdofparadise8  🙂 

How was your day?

I am just finishing up what I didn't catch up on yesterday, and feeling thankful it will be the weekend where there's a couple of days to catch up again xx

I hope youre doing ok this evening xx

All good, take your time. I did reply to your earlier post @PinkFlamingo 

Thanks heaps @Birdofparadise8  🙂 xx

All good now xx

Im so sorry to hear that - I hope you can make new friends that have a different outlook in the future 🙂 xx

That sounds good regarding the appointment next week and feeling better for having it there - I hope it goes well. I havent seen your posts that didn't have a tag to me, just yet, no 🙂 

Hope the footy goes well despite the injuries, and Sunday's trip to the zoo with a friend goes nicely for you, and you feel better having some company 🙂 xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance