Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

@7cough9 TYVM for yr clarification.

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

@yitty I find that the LACs and planners are really unrealistic about how long it takes to achieve goals, like thinking that decluttering my home is a short-term goal (ha ha ha, Nope)

@ Wazzlord, yes I thought as much, but Thank you for the info.

Our next question is...

What support might someone accessing or applying to access NDIS need?  

@Former-Member 

@Former-Member do you have any further advice about this? I am really desperate!

@Former-Member 

I'm still getting the impression that psychosocial services wouldn't touch someone like me, but regardless, I'll ask a few more questions:

Is it easier to get these sort of services if your not so much interested in the government funding, and just want to get the service? My impression is that generally, they won't go near you unless their assigned to do so by the NDIS.

Supports can vary greatly depending on the type of issue and its severity. Should a person have an issue regarding anxiety and require support in the community for example, this can be sought via the NDIS. For higher level issues such as those concerning physical safety and housing, there will be a higher level of evidence needed.

@AuDHDpug Yes, in a Facebook group I'm in, people say the main thing is getting evidence in the form of reports that show how your functioning in daily life is affected, and I gather that the NDIA pays attention to OT reports, because Occupational Therapists are all about functioning. So if you can find a good OT who works with autism and ADHD in adults, if you can afford their assessment & report, maybe with an extended care plan from your GP and you pay the gaps...

@MyLife_MyWay 

I feel that the best advice i can give is to ensure that you are involve in the process of your application - access is quite basic, and once this is achieved funding can then be used to get a full functional capacity assessment, psychological assessment etc which will aid in gaining greater funding. 

@chibam 

I have had a private psychologist since before the NDIS - it may be complex in finding services (it is for everyone) however in my experience that only lasts around 6 months while you get used to things. There are many private services out there however these will cost you money (private psychologist can be around $240 an hour for example. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance